Strobe vs Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where2Next

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about forgoing a strobe and instead using a Sola Video 1200 light on an arm. With the light I do not have to worry about misfiring, flooding (well not as much because it is externally charged), there are no cords, and I can see what the picture is going to look like - easy to adjust settings. I 'have heard' this is the next step for underwater photography - "pros are still using strobes, but it is only a matter of time." I have concerns about scaring critters off with a light that is constantly on. I can't really think of any negatives. Can someone tell me if they have tried this route, and how it worked out for them? Is there a flaw in my thought process? 99% of my photography is done on day dives.

I currently shoot with a Sola 1200 video light with my Rebel T2i (EOS 550D). I started with it because I could also use it for video, but find myself taking way more stills. I love the light, but there are a few considerations when thinking to forgo strobes for stills.

1. Light output. Strobes are more powerful. I am currently debating between the upcoming Sola 4000 light and a YS-250 strobe, but a strobe is certainly more powerful then a Sola 1200. That punch matters both for wide angle (getting light to the subject for color return) and macro (shooting at a deep enough f-stop to keep everything sharp). This is probably the most important consideration and the reason why pros still use strobes.

2. Creature (especially fish) behavior. Fish tend to turn away from a constant on light, so getting poses is more difficult. Of course, you have to be pretty right on with the first strobe fire or they still turn away.

3. Sync speeds. One of the great things about a constant on light is you no longer have to worry about strobe sync speeds and are free to shoot whatever shutter speeds you like.

Backscatter. It is a little easier, in my opinion, to visualize backscatter with a constant on light, but I would imagine once you have some practice with your strobe that becomes less of a problem.

By the way, I would still use a light arm even with a constant on light. being able to set the light a frame with two hand or change camera settings is invaluable. Light and Motion makes an inexpensive arm for the 1200 that runs like $89. It's what i'm using and I haven't had issues with it.

Hope this helps,
Tim Balcomb

Check out my underwater photography at www.timbalcomb.com

Tim, Thank you for such an excellent reply! I am swaying in the direction of a strobe now plus a focus light. I saw the light and motion arm at a show recently and really liked it - however when I went to move it, the thing made really loud friction sounds (not really sure how to describe, like plastic on plastic creaking noises) Is this diminished when it is wet - do you know what I am referring too?

PS - Checked out your website - great photos! Thanks for sharing!

I dove with one of thee recently. Actually, a dive buddy that forgot his camera at home (but brought everything else!) used it as his dive light and used it to spot subjects for me. I did take some anenome images using just his light and found them to be a bit flat.
Another consideration with the light. I am not sure what the battery life is but I assume it would be less than what I get out of rechargeable AA's in my YS110's.
I also have concerns about the slower shutter speeds that would be required with the lower intensity of light. It might be hard to get sharp images without being too dark.

On my camera, internal flash is disabled when I set it to super macro mode, thus it loses its ability to sync with my flash via fiber optic cable. I guess with a light, that is a non-issue.

@Scub e - Thanks for the thoughts and feedback on your experience. The more I chat with people, the more I think it is best to stick with a strobe - maybe next upgrade it will be worth reconsidering.

Lwang - What kind of camera do you have?

I am thinking about forgoing a strobe and instead using a Sola Video 1200 light on an arm. With the light I do not have to worry about misfiring, flooding (well not as much because it is externally charged), there are no cords, and I can see what the picture is going to look like - easy to adjust settings. I 'have heard' this is the next step for underwater photography - "pros are still using strobes, but it is only a matter of time." I have concerns about scaring critters off with a light that is constantly on. I can't really think of any negatives. Can someone tell me if they have tried this route, and how it worked out for them? Is there a flaw in my thought process? 99% of my photography is done on day dives.

I am using the these Apollo Video Lighting | Halcyon Dive Systems
Awesome for video, and good for stills also...you can fire the stills off as fast as you want also :)

here is a video I shot, inside a wreck....and you can see a more traditional video light another guy brings in--it is way to "white hot" for my taste.

way-too-much-fun - YouTube

Last edited:
danvolker - I would love to check out your video - but I don't see a link?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom