Strobeless Compact s95 goes head to head with a 5DMk2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crap, I'll have to wait until I get home. work is blocking the video.

Without watching it though, I can see where they would be at least close enough to equal for that $12K to not be worth it. the video resolution is much smaller than the still photos so that would equalize the greater sensor resolution of the 5D but I honestly can't see where the S95 can even be close to as clear as the 5D since it has no strobes and the 5D considering the cost, must. One huge advantage of the larger sensor in the 5D is the light gathering ability which should enable it to use a lower ISO.

Ok, I'm just tossing out a guess. Maybe I can watch this on my phone.

This video is fun and as they are only shooting macro it makes you wonder especially as the S95 does not even have an external strobe
So on this video you could say they are close, but they aren't and the difference shows not so much in macro but in wide angle and super macro where the larger sensor and the real apertures play a role

Ah, so it's actually comparing still shots. Blow those up to a decent size and see what they look like. :) Seeing them on a screen at 800x600 is not going to show much.

Well they both took pictures is about all you can say about that comparison. Let's make 16x20 inch prints from the files and you will soon see (even in the macro shots) that the 5DMII (or any other large sensor camera) is a whole lot way more better. But for the web, both are fine.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom