• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Strobes or no strobes for galapagos ?

Discussion in 'Strobes and Lighting' started by funscuba, Aug 15, 2019.

1. funscuba

funscuba Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi, I've been told that strobes are not really recommended when diving in galapagos due to the strong currents that can happen, and can disturb the diving, so only red filter or using white balance would be the only choice. Can anybody confirm me that as I'd like to know if I'd take my 2 Inon strobes with me or not.....
    And I've also been told that galapagos are not really a destination for macro stuff, so I guess only wide lens would be necessary, correct ?
    Thanks !

2. outofofficebrb

outofofficebrb HARRO HUNNAYYY

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    @WetPup @G83 can give you insight as they are both photographers who have been there. :)

3. davehicks

davehicks Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Bring them. Unless you are uncomfortable with the task loading of using your camera, use your strobes. Not every dive has current and you WILL want to have them on many dives.

Be safe, but also be prepared with all your photography options available. You can take them off if it becomes an issue.

4. WetPup

WetPup Weedy Sea Dragon

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    When I went to Galapagos in 2009, I did not own an uw camera. Didn’t buy one till 2010. Yes, I know. It is a good excuse to return though :)

That being said, I would take strobes, but ditch if you find you can’t handle the task loading.

outofofficebrb likes this.
  5. BluewaterPhoto

BluewaterPhoto Bluewater Photo & Travel ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Bring the strobes! If you find the currents too strong you can always leave them on the boat. You will wish you had them when that whale shark cruises by!

6. Interceptor121

Interceptor121 PADI Pro

Bring your strobes, who is giving such advice? really weird

Joe Weaver likes this.