Stronger/Tougher Duffel/Mesh Bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NTJB

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations on a duffel bag to bring all my gear just from the hotel to the dive shop on vacations. I pack my gear in my suitcases as check-in bags but am looking for a bag to haul my gear to the dive shop / to the shore etc...

I've looked at a lot of the mesh bags that are sold by various manufacturers. I dislike that they are practically see-through for one, and second they seem quite flimsy and not being able to hold a lot of weight.

I ideally would like one duffel to hold two people's gear. My stuff is pretty compact but with the weight, I've already broken the plastic buckles and strap attachments on a few of these bags.

Does anyone know of a strong durable duffel suitable for hauling scuba gear? How important do you think it is that the bag is mesh and/or can drain? I would also prefer to avoid anything wheels, just looking for something I can fold up into a check-in suitcase.

Thanks all in advance.

you could go with the Patagonia black hole duffel series. Although, I do like the mesh function of my Stahlsac (sp) just in case I am throwing in wet gear. The Patagonias are indestructible and come in multitude of sizes. Also, Osprey transporter.

I’m a big fan of the Stahlsac duffels, however they are mesh on the ends and sides. I like them because for multiple day trips, I just drop the whole thing in the rinse bin and am good to go. The material is quick to dry and is a pretty sturdy construction. I actually prefer the mesh as it allows the gear to breathe while it’s in the bag, but to each their own.

For a tough duffel that isn’t mesh, North Face makes great ones but for just hauling gear to/from the boat and beach it’s probably overkill.

My Akona duffel has a smallish (maybe 1.5"x12") HD grid/mesh panel (about 1/8" squares) for ventilation. which helps, but I use it for regs, reels, fins, etc. which are low-water retention and low odor. I bought it used and it has held up great.

I wouldn't want to put wetsuits, boots, or gloves in it after diving - I use AquaLung T4s for that which are almost all mesh, but pretty flimsy.

I picked up this for fins recently and it seems well made: Oceanic USA Line Mesh Fin Carry Bag
OCNFMBUSA.jpg

If their other pieces are made of the same material, I would think they might at lease answer the strength aspect: oceanic mesh buy at LeisurePro

Green army duffel,,,No-See-Thru,,,No wheels,,,, 2 sets of gear easily,,,Multiple carry strap configurations, Waterproof(almost), Folds Flat,,,Practically industructable,,,Super Cheep @ surplus store. Best of all ..Theft Protection>>>> no one will touch it because they think it's your smelly laundry !!

Green army duffel,,,No-See-Thru,,,No wheels,,,, 2 sets of gear easily,,,Multiple carry strap configurations, Waterproof(almost), Folds Flat,,,Practically industructable,,,Super Cheep @ surplus store. Best of all ..Theft Protection>>>> no one will touch it because they think it's your smelly laundry !!

best idea yet.

Thanks guys.

Hadn't thought of the green army duffel...that's definitely an idea to look into.

On the Stahlsacs, do you guys think these are significantly stronger mesh bags than the standard fare mares/cressi/etc branded mesh bags that likely come from the same factory?

Thanks guys.

Hadn't thought of the green army duffel...that's definitely an idea to look into.

On the Stahlsacs, do you guys think these are significantly stronger mesh bags than the standard fare mares/cressi/etc branded mesh bags that likely come from the same factory?

My Stahlsac has taken a beating over the years with no signs of wear or tear. Now please stop making me say "sac".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom