Stuart Cove - Nassau Bahamas - Trip Report (with link to pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are soo many Caribbean destinations with wonderful diving that I would go to before the Bahamas, that being said, we had a great time and the diving was excellent. The shark experience for me was the main reason to go there.

Would have to agree with RadHal. Had an awesome time. Loved the sharks. Enjoyed the reefs but definitely better diving and better diving value in other Caribbean locations (including the other areas of the Bahamas on a live aboard).

"Also we would be looking for a vacation rental so we can cook our food separately (and hopefully save a few bucks)."

We are headed to the Nassau this fall and are staying at the Blue Water Resort. 3 bedroom villas with kitchens, and appliances. I dont know how many people your are traveling with but if you need at a couple rooms this would be a economical choice. I've never stayed here but my brother has and said he enjoyed it. I'll be traveling with him and our wives. I've read its best to get into a Ocean view room. Within walking distance to a grocerry store.

Blue Water Resort on Cable Beach Nassau, Bahamas Vacation Oceanfront Resort.

I believe Stuart Cove will pick you up from this place, as we plan to dive with SC as well.

I'm planning to head to Bahamas this May and dive with Stuart's. Very excited for my first warm water trip, but I have a few questions:

1 - What's the recommended wetsuit for May? 3mm with hood and gloves?
2 - Does the boat anchor, and you return after you're done with the site, or do they do drift diving? Also, are you following a DM during the dive, or left to explore on your own?
3 - Do they allow solo divers with pony bottles, or are you forced to buddy up?

Regarding your questions (based on 8, one week long trips diving with SC)

1)Tolerance to cold is a highly personal thing, so YMMV. That said, I usually go to Nassau during August, but on the one trip I did during May, I wore: a 3mm full suit, with a 3mm vest, and a "beanie", and was comfortable. However, on the same boat, there were people wearing 5mmsuits, with vests and hoods, and one guy wearing a 3mm shortie. Also, if you plan on doing 4 dives a day, I'd suggest thicker protection.

2) The boat anchors, and you return to it. The first dive of a "2 tank" is guided, but for the second dive, it varies with the DM.You can do your own thing, or follow the DM, but in some cases the DM will be in the water for a while, then he/she exits, and the divers are on their own/free to do as they please.

3) I think that they require buddy teams, but I'm not sure how tightly they enforce that once in the water.

Additional thoughts: SC's is a very large, very well run (IMO) operation. They do run on a relatively tight schedule, and need to be back at the shop according to that schedule. If you happen to be on a boat with alot of people from cruise ships,things can be a bit rushed, as they have to get back to the ship by a certain time.
That said, I did, and hopefully will continue to enjoy diing with SC.
Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
We went in May last year, 2013 and I wore a 3mm full wetsuit, without hood and was comfortable, as mentioned it depends on your tolerance level.
Yes the boat anchors, a dive briefing is given and you have the option of following a guide or exploring with your buddy, usually a well defined site such as a wreck.
I doubt they will let you go solo, too much risk on their part.
They are a large, very well run dive op and despite their size I found everyone pleasant, engaged and fun. We had a great three day, morning and afternoon dive trip with SC that included the Shark Experience, not to be missed.

Great, thanks for the answers :) A shame about the no soloing, but hey I have 4 months to convince my girlfriend to get certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom