Stuck / going to be stuck in Europe - non political

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
2ND attempt.
My first thread attempt here was derailed into politics one post in. A moderator chose to move it to the pub. So I try again here in travel.
The NON-POLITICAL thread:
The idea here is to find out if anyone here on SB bound for the US is or is going to be stuck in Europe due to the newly an ounce US travel ban for travellers originating from the Schengen States. It may be that travellers with US passports are not affected, but not all travel with that document (which I believe has no virus fighting properties). Some families even travel mixed (some members with and some w/o US passport). Anyway, wherever you fall in that spectrum:
Have been / Will you be delayed in your travels to the US? What do you do?

Please refrain from comments of if that policy makes sense and what you think about which political or other leader. Keep it to how your travel got messed up, how it affects you and what you are able to do to deal with it / work with the new situation.

At this point, Canada has not posed any restrictions, so could you fly from Europe to Montreal or Toronto, then home from there?

Alternately, the UK and Ireland are not included in the restrictions, so you could, I suppose, fly there, then to the US.

Having said that, my understanding is that US citizens are welcome to come home. That assumes the airlines bother running back and forth. The carriers that include flights to Europe are pretty much bankrupt on paper today.

Guys, the virus is spreading exactly because people want to move. Please, stay where you are, until the storm is passed!
The more people move, the more the virus will spread...

I doubt the workaround of flying first through an OK intermediate country will fly, so to speak. All the arriving immigration agent has to ask is what was your starting destination, or ahve you neen in Europe in the last 14 days, or just look at your ticket(s), and then you have the choice of lying and NEVER getting in, or telling the truth and not getting in for 30 days.

The situation changes by the hour. Not a time to be traveling anywhere and face an increased risk of getting the infection or getting stranded or quarantined somewhere. A destination may seem relatively free of Corona virus, but no telling where the people at the airport and in the plane have come from.

Have been / Will you be delayed in your travels to the US? What do you do?

Please refrain from comments of if that policy makes sense and what you think about which political or other leader. Keep it to how your travel got messed up, how it affects you and what you are able to do to deal with it / work with the new situation.

I'm curious, are you collecting this data for your own personal use/interest or is it intended for publication in some way?

I’m only concerned about the lack of passenger flights in that it really reduces the belly room available for cargo. I’ve spent hours scrambling to reroute stuff to avoid Europe.

I'm waiting for some stuff from China, and I figure it is going to be a while as the air saver option is space available.

I'm curious, are you collecting this data for your own personal use/interest or is it intended for publication in some way?
Own personal general interest and curiosity in how policies may affect real people. That and a with the family spread out over the US, Germany & China and friends spread afar too, this is just an "interesting" time.... and it's getting more interesting day by day...
I am sure articles and books are or will be written about this. Political ones, medical ones, financial ones, economy focussed ones, personal interest stories, mixes of all of the above... but not by me...
But why do you ask?

I don't mean to stifle well meant advise etc, but please remember, the thread, at heart asks for contribution by those who are affected / will be affected by the new travel ban from Europe to the US.

Back
Top Bottom