Stuck / going to be stuck in Europe - non political

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Russia (Crimea) trying to finish a shrimp hatchery and waiting for broodstock shrimp to arrive from Thailand. The owners are very nervous as we have a narrow window of warm weather (june to Sept) to pull this off.
There are rumors of Russia stopping freight from Thailand.
But yeah, getting home to Belize...not sure. Will be here for another month as the guy qho was coming to manage, is stuck in the Philippines. Can't get to Manila from Cebu to get his Russian visa.
Crazy times....

I'm in Russia (Crimea) trying to finish a shrimp hatchery and waiting for broodstock shrimp to arrive from Thailand. The owners are very nervous as we have a narrow window of warm weather (june to Sept) to pull this off.
There are rumors of Russia stopping freight from Thailand.
But yeah, getting home to Belize...not sure. Will be here for another month as the guy qho was coming to manage, is stuck in the Philippines. Can't get to Manila from Cebu to get his Russian visa.
Crazy times....
Yep.

I'm still planning on traveling from Frankfurt to either Tampa or Orlando on a direct flight with Kater, my european shorthair in May. I'll end up having to pay the extra 1000 euros for premium economy since the sardine class has no room for an emotional support cat under the seat in front of me, and I am too nice of a cat daddy to do that to Kater. I'll be traveling on a US passport. Kater though, has a European community animal passport.

Michael

I am stuck in Moalboal with nothing to do but go diving.

It's an easy gig but someone has to do it.

:snorkel:
How you suffer for all of the rest of us... :p

Well hello from northern Italy. We are in lockdown. You are only allowed out of your house for essential travel - work (but all non essential business shut for 2 weeks, basically food and pharmacies), medical or returning home. You have to carry a form with you saying where you are going and why and the police can check on the story. Oh and my employer (an airline) has just laid me off for the next ?? months. Ciao thanks for your hard work.

Well hello from northern Italy. We are in lockdown. You are only allowed out of your house for essential travel - work (but all non essential business shut for 2 weeks, basically food and pharmacies), medical or returning home. You have to carry a form with you saying where you are going and why and the police can check on the story. Oh and my employer (an airline) has just laid me off for the next ?? months. Ciao thanks for your hard work.

I'm sorry, though there's probably small comfort in not being alone in your situation

We're currently under lockdown. Everyone whose job isn't vital for the function of society or can do their job remotely are encouraged to work from home. Schools and Universities are closed down, as are every big public event. All non-vital travel is suspended. The situation sucks majorly for small businesses. They may well be bankrupt before this is over.

It has been clearly stated that US passport holders will be allowed back into the country and health screened upon arrival.

Just talking, I know it doesn't really change or improve anything and probably is a miserable "heads up and you are not alone" kind of talk too. But maybe some of you right now appreciate the talk and be it just for "entertainment". Maybe you are so sick of it. In that case "sorry":

It's a serious situation and considering the best we can do right now is medieval style controls to slow the spread and relying on our own immunesystem it's headed for worse. It's a bit like the river is flooding and we have to stay put nevertheless. So, we cannot change the cards dealt and the cards suck. But there will be an end to this. Unfortunately Governments do a horrible job in communicating what that may be. Will there be lock downs and closed businesses until a vaccine is available maybe next year? - I doubt that Will a vaccine of sorts be fast tracked ? Or is it really about getting enough of the herd infected slowly enough to allow health services to stay afloat?

IDK, but we all are either in it or we are going to be in it and wherever the situation is headed at this moment, the time where it heads towards "better" will come.

A thought: If given the choice, would I check in to a controlled infection and monitoring health station if then guaranteed I can roam freely after my body (hopefully) overcame the sickness? Maybe. Should there be such health stations taking monitored patient space away from those who got very sick? Probably not unless we ramp up to have enough "monitored sick space" and choose a rate of infection that matches it. I don't think such "societal designs" exist and how ethical is it to let someone intentionally infect ... Again, for this round of virus infections, it seems like we are stuck with what we know. and we'll have to endure what it brings and then learn from it. And, lacking a real choice available right now, that's what we'll do.

I wish us all that the politicians everywhere have the wisdom to do what it takes to implement the good advise of the scientific health community and check their personal boasting and "greatness" at the door. Even the ones habitually challenged by all of that. When that happens, I'll have convidence that we'll get through this better than worst case.

So, in a round about way, I have these words to the people in those countries where that seems to be happening: Yes, it may have started too late, there are always things to improve with hindsight, but you all were caught early in / with this and you are dealing with it and as bad as it seems, maybe close to as well as we at this time know how to. Not that this helps anyone, but I think it is a reason to be proud. I am proud of all of you (yeah, ok, that means even less). Hang in there. (duh, no choice) There will be an end to it.
So if I end with "heads up" I'll score a trifecta (at least) of meaningless words. But hey, maybe being annoyed by this idiot is not that bad a distraction right now... :wink:, so, : Heads up!

If given the choice, would I check in to a controlled infection and monitoring health station if then guaranteed I can roam freely after my body (hopefully) overcame the sickness?
It seems as if Boris & co bet their money on this. While most of the industrial world are trying to slow the spread, keeping the # of serious cases low enough to let the health system cope, Boris & co want as many as possible to be infected to speed up the infected-but-now-immune count.

It'll probably come with a higher number of fatalities, though. In Italy, the health system has had to resort to serious triage, writing off a lot of cases who might have been saved if the load had been lighter. Only time will show if this is the correct approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom