Student diver dead - Co. Kent, England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This lake is only 11-metres deep, according to NEMES DIVING & WATERSPORTS ACADEMY.
They are a PADI dive school, however they may make the lake open to other clubs and dive organisations as a training resourse.
Other than that the web is remarkably empty of detail or even speculation.

Oldbear, someone out there can give us some appropriate facts. It is utterly appropriate for the dive community to know the agency involved and the level of training being received.

Process of Elimination can help us to find out the agency. If the respective reps of each agency that was not involved would so post here, we could get closer to learning something.

openmindOW - I am curious with Oldbear - why would the agency matter? To me this would be a student or instructor/student issue... Again not knowing anything at this point - not sure why or how the agency makes any difference to the story or be cumulative to scuba deaths in general.
Is there a reason why the agency matters?

The "Agency" does not train or control the students. The Instructor does.

The "Agency's" role, regardless of which Agency, will only be to ensure that all training standards were met by the Instructor at the time of the incident.

Is there a reason why the agency matters?

In an investigation, you collect facts. You can determine their importance later.

I also asked about level of training.

Right now, there is silence.

Let's get some facts.

You initially just asked about agency and when called upon you expanded to level of training.

As other above I think it is not an agency issue. I can understand level of training but not agency (unless it is determined that standards were followed yet with change of standards this could be prevented).

In an investigation, you collect facts. You can determine their importance later.
I think they have police in the UK, while I think this is but a discussion forum. Finding blame is not a goal here.

The "Agency" does not train or control the students. The Instructor does.

The "Agency's" role, regardless of which Agency, will only be to ensure that all training standards were met by the Instructor at the time of the incident.
It just does not matter which agency!

Well, some readers of Sb might want to know. I do.

When someone say Instructors matter, not standards, I have to wonder. Don't agency standards determine who becomes an instructor?

How about level of training? Does it matter what class the student was taking?

Of course it does. And once you say it's, say, a rebreather class you get into agency standards. So you get back to agency.

If you don't want to know what agency is involved, fine. Don't read those posts.

But you cannot say that others may not know either.

Agency is probably the most irrelevant fact here.
There is no knowledge of what happened here. There are so many things that can and go wrong that have nothing to do with agencies... so I'm with the other posters who found weird your eagerness to find out the agency and your "plan" to discover it. Even the level of training, as I don't see training level as having a noticeable effect on dive accidents. Are divers taking more advanced training suffering more accidents? Or the opposite? Is there any information at all regarding this?

Yes, maybe in some situations a difference in standards can have an influence in safety. How often does that happen? That discussion is surely appropriate and important once we know what happened and if what happened can have anything to do with standards. Until then, it's irrelevant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom