Stupid mouse ate a hole in my dive bag and BC!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, no it didn't - but after they ate a hole in a nice shirt that was on the floor, I was worried about them eating a hole in my new dive bag (thanks again Lori!) and BC and whatever other expensive diving crap I have - so I went out and got two of those plastic 30L containers with lids to put my stuff in. Wasn't quite enough room, so I'll need to get another one ($10 each, so not bad).

I'm on a mission to kill these little bastards. Been fighting them for a while with varying degrees of success. I've been able to beat them back - but somehow they find reinforcements. Now wife wants to get a cat - and frankly, I'd rather have the mice - but the threat is real, so I gotta do something. I got some of that spray foam insulation stuff, and this weekend I'm going to go around to all of the baseboard heaters and put that stuff where the copper pipes come out of the floor - that's their transportation system. Hopefully I can block all those off and they don't eat through it. We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, my dive gear is now safe :)

Good luck keeping them at bay! I have some married friends that had a wetsuit and a dry suit that were eaten by mice. What a pain in the a$$!

Your gear is not even safe underwater from that critter, as this clip shows.

I swear the holes in my wetsuits are NOT from mice... just extreme old age and wear. I did have mice eat through a down parka of mine. Good thing I haven't needed it since I moved to California from Chicago... that was nearly 40 years ago.

The mice may just chew through the foam.
I have seen exterminators use a copper mesh that looks like very course steelwool to seal up the holes. It seemes that the mice can't or won't chew threw it.

If you live in a house the mice maybe getting in from outside, if that is the case you will have to find all the holes 1/4" or larger around the foundation of your house and seal them up.

If you live in a multidwelling building it can be very difficult to get rid of the pests because they are living and breeding in another part of the structure and traveling to your home though the common parts of the building.

Traps are good if baited with peanut butter and placed in dark areas against the wall, along the top of the foundation is one good place.

Poisond baits (DECON) also work well and may be used in conjuntion with the traps.

If they get too numerous and uncontrolable you or your land lord may have to hire an exterminator.

One apartment building we lived in just before we moved into our house got infested with cockroaches and our appartment had to be fumigated. when we came home there were hundreds of dead and dying cockroaches on the floor.
The entire wing of the complex eventualy had to be fumigated to get rid of the buggers.

Lots of luck

If you're using mechanical mouse traps, might I suggest using a small amount of a Snickers candy bar for bait? My son worked at a convenience store, and noticed that they really, REALLY, went after the Snickers. When we had a couple of the little furry vermin get into our kitchen, I tried the Snickers and had the pests in no time at all.

Be sure to use just a very SMALL amount, as they will figure out how to steal the bait if you give them enough to get ahold of.

They're destructive, they stink, and send my allergies into overdrive. I'm not into the idea of cruelty to animals, but if they get into my house, it's either take drastic action NOW or risk having a real infestation. They WILL breed and take over if you don't eliminate them promptly.

The mice may just chew through the foam.I have seen exterminators use a copper mesh that looks like very course steelwool to seal up the holes. It seemes that the mice can't or won't chew threw it.
Good tip. I know some stuff I could get. I think I will get some and try to embed it in the foam.

If you live in a house the mice maybe getting in from outside, if that is the case you will have to find all the holes 1/4" or larger around the foundation of your house and seal them up.
Yeah, I did that search once. I'll be doing it again more carefully this time.

Traps are good if baited with peanut butter and placed in dark areas against the wall, along the top of the foundation is one good place.
Yeah, I've caught over 50 mice with the peanut butter traps. Now I am left with just the smart ones - they stopped going for the PB.

Poisond baits (DECON) also work well and may be used in conjuntion with the traps.
yeah, I'm planning to drop some poison in the pipe holes before I foam them up. Give them something tasty to eat for a while. Hopefully, by the time any of them get the bright idea to chew through my foam, they'll be dead.

If they get too numerous and uncontrolable you or your land lord may have to hire an exterminator.
Unfortunately, I own this dump. I did finally call an exterminator, and they said all they do is charge $200 to come out and set up traps. Well, la de da. I said no thanks.

If you're using mechanical mouse traps, might I suggest using a small amount of a Snickers candy bar for bait?
Too easy to steal. PB makes them hang around - they can't grab it and go.

I'm not into the idea of cruelty to animals, but if they get into my house, it's either take drastic action NOW or risk having a real infestation. They WILL breed and take over if you don't eliminate them promptly.
They're getting bolder. I've managed to catch five of them with my bare hands - reach out and squeeze the little bastards until their eyes pop out - and then toss their lifeless carcass in the toilet.

I've discussed my foam & poison plan (now foam, poison & metal grate) plan with my wife. She has agreed to give it an honest try before bringing home a cat. I hope it works - otherwise - well - cats just suck.

I also just brought home three more big plastic bins.

Thanks all :)
nd

The ultrasonic type controllers work very well, as an alternative. They drove the critters out of the house, and didn't bother the dog or cats. I found a 4 pack at a local hardware store for $45 or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom