sturdy back-inflate BCD with proper utility pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can find a BC that works otherwise and has room on a waist strap, add pockets to the waist strap. That’s sometimes easier to reach than built in pockets anyway. I use the Zeagle utility pockets, I used to think they were too big but love then now. I tie them to something on the BC with a bit of bungie so they can’t fall off.

That's what I do on the Zeagle Scout I have - two extra pocket on the waist strap but it's just not good enough.

Also a little cooled off on Zeagle after my enquiry on sizes for my current Scout i bought in Bali was "seems you are right in between the sizes for this BCD.Did you happen to try on the next size up when you purchased your BC?"
It's not like I have an LDS with a Zeagle collection here in Bali or Phuket...

Then, as I was trying to modify things (shoulder strap extensions):
"I definitely would not encourage modifying this Scout but would suggest the proper size BC.
Sorry…"
For a brand, handled by Huish Outdoors that has virtually no reliable distributors in SE Asia where I'm working most of the time, unlike Scubapro or Aqualung (Aquamasters, Dive Supply...) - I even tried closer to home in Mexico (Baja California Sur), to no avail. So not my next purchase I think

thanks again!

the seahawk looks good, but no shoulder dump valve.

It does have one on the right shoulder and one on the left shoulder integrated with the corrugated inflator hose. Pretty much like all other SP BC's.

Dive buddy of mine has the AL Dimension. Definitely seems to have enough pockets. The octo pocket is nice as it stays in the pocket and doesn’t pop out like with the various holders. If you have a local AL dealer, that might be a good choice for you.

Stay away from the I3 inflator thing though. Adds USD $100 to the cost and it’s gadgety. If you’re an instructor, as I’m assuming, you probably want standard equipment.

It does have one on the right shoulder and one on the left shoulder integrated with the corrugated inflator hose. Pretty much like all other SP BC's.

Ok great, definitely on the list as I like Scubapro products (even though my Aladin Sports Matrix dive computer) just died on me just one year after purchase :wink: -

Dive buddy of mine has the AL Dimension. Definitely seems to have enough pockets. The octo pocket is nice as it stays in the pocket and doesn’t pop out like with the various holders. If you have a local AL dealer, that might be a good choice for you.

Stay away from the I3 inflator thing though. Adds USD $100 to the cost and it’s gadgety. If you’re an instructor, as I’m assuming, you probably want standard equipment.

Thanks - yes, the AL Dimension is very high on my list now - for teaching I borrow and use standard shop BCDs (mostly Scubapro and Aqualung here) anyway, so that I can demonstrate on the same equipment that the students are given, switching back to my own gear for the OW dives

cheers

I have been diving the Apeks Black Ice for about a year now at work. I typically dive two times a week and sometimes as many as five. I carry tools and hardware all the time. The d-ring attachment points and the two built in pockets are very useful. When I dive my doubles recreationally I have an Apeks WTX setup with pockets added to the belt. It works very well also. I can highly recommend either rig.

Ranger LTD's have a right shoulder dump plus 2 bottom dumps.

But the pockets kind of suck at the surface as the weight of the tank stresses the zippers. Plus the weight bag behind it in it's own pocket intrudes on the size of objects you can place in them. It's not an issue when you're floating.

You can also buy zip-in pockets for the LTD that mount "under" the wing - between your body and the wing. I carry a spare mask and small smb in one.

Any of these accessories with the zipper on one side work with the system. Accessories

I've seen several dive pros with a Seahawk. They seem to carry a lot of stuff in the pockets, I believe even the description on the website mentions it.

I have been diving the Apeks Black Ice for about a year now at work. I typically dive two times a week and sometimes as many as five. I carry tools and hardware all the time. The d-ring attachment points and the two built in pockets are very useful. When I dive my doubles recreationally I have an Apeks WTX setup with pockets added to the belt. It works very well also. I can highly recommend either rig.

I had a Black Ice long time ago and it was too stiff, uncomfortable and rides up. I hated it. Is it any different now at all? Does it ride up and have they added a crotch strap to it?

Back
Top Bottom