Sub-Gravity AquaProp; The Little DPV that could

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My company recently held a demo weekend for Sub-Gravity DPVs. We were excited to show people the offerings and wanted to give some divers the opportunity to try out diving with a scooter. Most of the divers were brand spanking new to DPV diving and just wanted to see what it was about.

We had on had a Sub-Gravity Reference RS and the AquaProp.

I was getting a bunch of questions beforehand about the AquaProp, not so much about the reference since most people assumed that a 7K DPV would be able to accomplish exactly what it should do. Most were curious about the AquaProp and it's abilities.

Mainly, the single biggest question asked was, "Can it tow me in (insert configuration here)?"
It's hard to tell someone, "YES!" right off the bat since they were throwing alot of tanks and weight at a 15lb DPV. But just to show everyone and myself too that yes the AquaProp may be small, but it will pull you.

I've used it with my MEG CCR, 3lt Steel tanks, 6lb backplate, 10 lbs of weight, drysuit with thick undergarments and al 40 bailout and on the lowest speed it was at least twice as fast as I could swim. Another customer is 275lbs , with a Waterprood D7 drysuit, and 2 LP95s sidemounted and again it pulled. Again with an Xjoy7 in tow, sidemounted HP100s, the AquaProp delivered in a really nice and comfortable ride.

This thing is AWESOME! Video below is me in my Meg at the lowest speed.

Stababilty and I tend to use my fins for turns, but mostly habit.

A bit more video...

Second video gives a decent idea of how quickly it will pull you. Was that on the fastest speed setting?

Nope all the videos show the AquaProp at the lowest setting.

Huh that looks pretty damn impressive. A $2k scooter with that depth rating and over an hour of burn time able to haul doubles and multiple stages? What are some of the negatives you have been hearing? Obviously it doesn't have the power or burn time of some of the 4-6k scooters but it's less than half the price...

So the negatives comments that I have been hearing have all been pre-testing. Alot of the Naysayers were pretty quiet (including myself) after an in-water ride.

The obvious draw back is the torque. The burn time is better than a DPV 2x as expensive so that's a PRO for the AquaProp.

They are obviously pretty squirrely to ride compared to an XK1 or the like since they are about 2 feet shorter than an expedition grade DPV. But I spent over 2 hours on one throughout the weekend and I found it fun to ride even with a large load.

The trigger isn't as comfortable as the Reference or ECOS but again that's to be expected for a DPV in this price range and weight.

In my opinion (Full disclosure, My company is a Sub-Gravity Dealer) for the price, burn time (4 hours on low and 2 hours on high) ability to travel (Optional NiMH battery and nose cone) and for size (less than 15lbs). It's a home run of a DPV.

If you are interested in one hit me up through PM and i'll get you all sorted out and have one dropped shipped to you @Beau640

I got a chance to see these in Catalina this Sunday but unfortunately did not get to demo them. I will tell you the comments I heard from the divers who did demo them (I was set up right next to the booth) were very positive, especially regarding the pull at the higher speeds. Also, the Prop is amazingly compact and light. I could see putting two of them in a case and heading to Hawaii or wherever with them. I'm hoping to get a chance to try one soon.

Better yet, just buy one and try it out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom