Subaru Outback ( ~2019 2.5 vs 3.6)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would that cause you to trade it in?

Mine burns through a quart in about 2,500 miles. I simply put in a quart between oil changes. No big deal.

The wife drove it. The last thing I want to deal with is having her tell me the car needs oil again. Traded it for a Q5. I haven't had to put a drop of oil in the new car in 3 years and over 75k. The oil gets changed every 5k, nothing between fills.

The Subie was nice, other than the fact you were adding oil at almost every gasoline fill up.

I remember when we moved back to the US from Japan that I was at the BMW dealership minutes from buying a car. My now ex-wife (may she burn in Hades but I'm not bitter) was at the Subaru dealership getting the one car we kept while living in Japan serviced. While waiting for them to finish up she test drove the LL Bean model and she told me not to buy the BMW until I test drove that car which we ended up buying.

The wife drove it. The last thing I want to deal with is having her tell me the car needs oil again. Traded it for a Q5. I haven't had to put a drop of oil in the new car in 3 years and over 75k. The oil gets changed every 5k, nothing between fills.

The Subie was nice, other than the fact you were adding oil at almost every gasoline fill up.

Wow! Mine isn't anything close to that! It's MAYBE once between oil changes (@5K intervals) and only if doing a lot of highway driving. I was told it is expected when doing a lot of higher speed diving.

After having a heavily modified '03 WRX, my 2014 Outback 2.5 (last year they made with a manual transmission - yes, I am a car Luddite) feels like a boat. While I'm sure a 3.6 has more power, it is relatively negligible for me.

I had a WRX before my current '13 Forester, both manuals. For fun I test drove an automatic '13 and I wouldn't have bought it, much too sluggish.

Also, if the Subaru CVT is anything like the one in my wife's CRV, no way.

Yep, my '13 Forester burns oil but I'm at 165k miles and I can't think of a single other complaint. Not really a big deal to check it during fillups and top off as needed. So far as the AWD performance, I wouldn't be caught dead without it. I love recalling the time when I found myself at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes unexpectedly - hadn't planned it at all - and after slapping a flag on the car and deflating the tires I was playing with the big boys and having a ball. Absolutely unbeatable. This isn't me, but it may as well be - same car, same dune.

o far as the AWD performance, I wouldn't be caught dead without it. I love recalling the time when I found myself at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes unexpectedly - hadn't planned it at all - and after slapping a flag on the car and deflating the tires I was playing with the big boys and having a ball. Absolutely unbeatable. This isn't me, but it may as well be - same car, same dune.

OT: Pretty amazing what Subies will do with good tires and AWD.

Why would that cause you to trade it in?

Mine burns through a quart in about 2,500 miles. I simply put in a quart between oil changes. No big deal.

My14 Forester was doing the same thing and the dealer swapped out the short block as it was a known problem. No issues since the swap.

You have to call it the Scubaru! :D
6e65bd97f5d3f0b0a681ab26c5b17896.jpg

I drive a 2014 outback with the 2.5 it has plenty of power and decent fuel economy. I occasionally haul a 5x10 trailer with no issues. And most importantly it hauls our dive gear around effortlessly!

Attachments

• D5340103-4B63-476E-AD94-5923E17080D0.jpeg
    D5340103-4B63-476E-AD94-5923E17080D0.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 33
I have a 2018 Outback 2.5i limited with all the bells and whistles and love it. I never feel like it is underpowered even with a full load of scuba gear. I don't notice the engine noise anymore than my Toyota Avalon with 3.0 v-6. You can haul a lot of gear in the back also. The AWD is great in the snow. I loved going around all the cars and trucks that couldn't make it up the inclines and hills on our roads after last week's 6.5" of snow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom