Subic tech: Boardwalk or Arizona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have not dived the Orion's tail, A-1 Skyraider and "Tabby"(DC-3) previously, they are good for a quick recreational dive because of the depth or a thorough tec dive.

As for the New York, you have to be philosophical about it because the decision is out of your and dive shop hand.

Have a nice trip.

This ain’t no sxxt! In the “old” days the girls in the Olongapo bars use to be pretty good at telling us when our ships would be leaving/coming back to Subic. And, when a buddy’s ship would be in Subic.

Sorry, just reminiscing.

Back in those days ONLY Uncle Sam could dive in Subic Bay.

I can vouch for Arizona and Kent's operation - I've stayed-dived there several times and it's a dedicated resort and dive centre for serious divers.

I'm not a Tech diver (yet) but have done plenty of wrecks and deep dives in SB, and have always felt well managed and safe with Arizona's team.

The staff at Arizona resort are also excellent and make the effort to ensure you feel welcome. The food is pretty good with healthy portions - beers are cheap too.

Staying at a resort on the beach with the dive centre there also makes the convenient difference, don't know why you'd stay anywhere else.

I can vouch for Arizona and Kent's operation - I've stayed-dived there several times and it's a dedicated resort and dive centre for serious divers.

I'm not a Tech diver (yet) but have done plenty of wrecks and deep dives in SB, and have always felt well managed and safe with Arizona's team.

The staff at Arizona resort are also excellent and make the effort to ensure you feel welcome. The food is pretty good with healthy portions - beers are cheap too.

Staying at a resort on the beach with the dive centre there also makes the convenient difference, don't know why you'd stay anywhere else.

Just for accuracy... the beers aren't particularly cheap by Philippines standards...more than double (80php) what I'd pay in some places (35php).... but you expect that with resorts. :wink:

Boardwalk has been running tech level diving for a long time, and their support is excellent at all levels. They're very 'DIR' friendly... and have hosted some big 'names' from GUE and UTD etc over the years.

Arizona is less experienced with higher level tech support, but Kent and his team have a wonderful 'can-do' attitude and spare no effort in providing everything a visiting tech diver would need. They are very sidemount friendly - with a large stock of dedicated L/R-handed cylinders and rental Apeks sidemount BCDs and regulator sets.

Arizona is based in a (very popular and well established) western-run resort... so you've got everything you need in one place. The rooms are good value and the food is Australian/American... good steaks... and the Blue Fin sashimi is excellent value at $5.

Boardwalk is a stand-alone dive center, but there's accommodation nearby... a Best Western hotel and some business suite type rooms. There's no food or beverages at Boardwalk.

Arizona is located on Barretto Beach... it's primarily popular with western visitors...more of a 'beach area'. It's also where the main bar nightlife is. There's a range of American, Japanese, British and Filipino restaurants... even a new place doing Middle Eastern cuisine. There's cheap trikes to get around.

Boardwalk is inside SBFZ (the Freeport business area). It's mainly Filipino and Korean hotels and restaurants there... although you can get a good pizza at 'Extremely Xpresso' and awesome food at Texas Joe's. Nightlife is mostly KTV and live music at 'Pier 1', which is a Filipino favorite. It's a 15 min walk to the nice mall at 'Harbor Point', which has McDonald's, Starbucks, TGI Fridays etc.. You have to either walk everywhere or get an (expensive) taxi, as trikes are not allowed to operate inside SBFZ. I wouldn't swim off the beach in SBFZ... unless I really wanted an eye/ear/throat infection.

Boardwalk attracts much of the Chinese/HK/Taiwan market. Arizona is more popular with American/Australian/European tourists.

Boardwalk use a couple of covered speedboat for their dives. The run quick 1-2 dive trips off the beach. They're excellently located for the USS New York, but further from some other sites.

Arizona has probably the best regular dive boat in Subic Bay... the 'Trident 1', which is very spacious and has a large dive deck area. Water entries are great (especially for tech backmount or sidemount) off the ledged pontoon sides. They provide a hot towel post-dive, along with cup noodles or hot coffee and juice. They run 2-dive trips, with 2 boats, that leave punctually at 9am and 2pm every day. For tech divers they'll run bespoke trips.

Staff at both dive centres are excellent, and very safe. Both equip properly with O2 and 1st aid kits. Both supply very clean gas.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

Update: my buddies had already booked dives with Boardwalk (one of them had been there before, and was satisfied), so I joined them there for a few days' overlap.

I have nothing negative or critical to say about Arizona, because I have no experience with them.

Boardwalk was really good for a tech diver who is properly trained in deco diving and in penetration diving into tight, confined, overhead spaces.

In other words, if you are in Subic Bay to do the most hardcore, advanced tec dives through the narrowest, most dangerous, most silt-filled passages through the USS New York, they do a great job.

Cave, and better yet technical wreck penetration training, is needed for those kinds of dives.

Dante and Tanoy were great guides.

When I was there, there was a tech diver with his daughter, who was maybe 9 or 10 years old. He missed a few tech dives to join his girl. The instructors seemed to be doing a great job with her (of course, she didn't penetrate to the engine room … they were on coral reefs and shallow wrecks) so it seemed they're ok at more than just hardcore tech.

But if deep, dark, tight, silty, rusty penetrations into the USS New York is your thing, I do definitely recommend Boardwalk

Tried contacting Boardwalk Dive Center via their listed email addy on FB and it comes back as non-operation address. Also, their website does not come up any more. Did they go defunct?

I'll be in Subic on Nov 22 and was looking for a good dive shop.

Bill

Tried contacting Boardwalk Dive Center via their listed email addy on FB and it comes back as non-operation address. Also, their website does not come up any more. Did they go defunct?

I'll be in Subic on Nov 22 and was looking for a good dive shop.

Bill

Arizona Dive Shop is your answer - great team, great customer service and equipment.

This afternoon I called the number listed on Boardwalk's Facebook Page, and the lady who answered told me that the place is now Bahia resort and they don't have a dive centre anymore. I'm not sure if this means that they've moved to another location, or if Boardwalk has ceased operations altogether. We were hoping to do a daytrip on the 10th.

Back
Top Bottom