Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just reviewed some early photos I have, and this one of a fellow named Pierre from our Salem Junior Aqua Club, circa 1963, shows him using a Sea-View gauge.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Thetis Island-Pierre 1962a.jpg
    Thetis Island-Pierre 1962a.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 144
Just a few visuals of the SPG's on the UK market in the SUBMARINE PRODS..jpgS G HEINKE GAUGES  2.jpgSUBMARINE PRODS. TOUCH P.G..jpgCOMMANDER CRABBE.JPG 1950 to 1960's.

john

Attachments

• HEINKE CAPT.HAMPTON SCHOOL 1956.jpg
    HEINKE CAPT.HAMPTON SCHOOL 1956.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 148
Dr. Miller,

Here are my guesses:
I'm going to say that the SPG you are talking about had a problem when pressurized in that it was inflexible and hard to see. It probably also had no O-ring seal to allow it to be rotated so as to be readable.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John You are VERY CLOSE!
The hose was a steel reinforced cloth wrapped hose and very inflexible, therefore difficult to bend and to read when needed.
There are two other points regarding safety when activated.

Any one been reading CDN and the editor's articles? Especially the one several months ago about the SPG?

What ever happened to Ryan ?? He is a member of the BofD of the HDS and should have all the answers or be in contact with some one who has the answers ...
SDM

Maybe this might be the SPG hose that Sam Miller is referring to.
In the UK the company was "High Flex".2014-01-09 12.46.54.jpg2014-01-09 12.47.29.jpg2014-01-09 12.48.00.jpg2014-01-09 12.45.31.jpg

Last edited:
Just a few visuals of the SPG's on the UK market in the View attachment 178427View attachment 178428View attachment 178429View attachment 178430 1950 to 1960's.

john
RegulatorBJ,

Are those double hose regulators with the SPG single-stage or double-stage regulators? Also, what is their name? I have a book in my library titled The Master Diver and Underwater Sportsman, by Captain T.A. Hampton, ARCO Publishing Company, N.Y., 1970 which shows several of the U.K. units. They name the Black Prince, the Siebe Gorman Mistral, The Merlin Mk VI and the Atlantic demand valve. Which one is the one you show in these photos?

SeaRat

---------- Post added February 24th, 2014 at 05:43 PM ----------

John C. Ratliff;7046974:
Dr. Miller,

Here are my guesses:
I'm going to say that the SPG you are talking about had a problem when pressurized in that it was inflexible and hard to see. It probably also had no O-ring seal to allow it to be rotated so as to be readable.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John You are VERY CLOSE!
The hose was a steel reinforced cloth wrapped hose and very inflexible, therefore difficult to bend and to read when needed.
There are two other points regarding safety when activated.

Any one been reading CDN and the editor's articles? Especially the one several months ago about the SPG?

What ever happened to Ryan ?? He is a member of the BofD of the HDS and should have all the answers or be in contact with some one who has the answers ...
SDM
Dr. Miller,

If it is safety, then I would guess that the SPG did not have a pinpoint opening that restricted flow. In other words, if there were a leak, it would be a high pressure leak that could break out the glass, and quickly deplete the remaining air supply.

SeaRat

The Marmac's lack of acceptance was do to:
1) very stiff almost inflexible hose

2)

3)

Related to the very end ; the gauge portion...2 problems.

I wonder why the world famous authors and super-dupper posters have not commented?

SDM

The Marmac's lack of acceptance was do to:
1) very stiff almost inflexible hose

2)

3)

Related to the very end ; the gauge portion...2 problems.

I wonder why the world famous authors and super-dupper posters have not commented?

SDM
How about this:

2) The gauge is not on the end, but to the side. Therefore, combined with the inflexible hoses, it could not be turned around to enable the diver to see it.

3) I'm still working on this one.

John

John
Close but the gauge was on the end...like most of that era...

Think in terms of pressure and materials and the reason the later SPGs were not immediately popular - even banned by some operators -- so I am informed- some indicate SPG were not acceptable as late as the 1970s.

There is a reason....and you are closing in on the reason

SDM

Back
Top Bottom