Substantial reef damage from boat anchor... again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Voreection you need a 7 to 1 ratio for anchoring that means for every foot of water you anchor in you need 7 feet of rode in the water to be effective when I took my seamanship course this is what we were taught when anchoring this gives the proper angle for the anchor to grab this being said in 10 ft of water in rough current or seas you would have 70 feet of rode laid out now that being said you can give or take 20 feet depending on conditions the calmer the seas the less rode you need

@Littlerayray I was referring directly to the amount of chain, not line for scope. To have that much chain on a boat would be ridiculously heavy and have a detrimental impact on a boat's performance. The problem for smaller vessels, like my boat for example, is I can't stow that much line in the anchor well. To follow the 7:1 ratio I would need 700 feet at 100 fsw. Ain't gonna happen, but I can substitute a large portion of line for chain and reduce the amount of necessary scope to hold the bottom.

Wookie makes a great point about a shift in conditions turning the boat which would turn an environmentally safe setup to a damaging one.

I can identify some damage in the video. Perhaps this site was made up of mostly gorgonians and sponges and so when the anchor line went over the limestone it basically gave the reef a hair cut, for lack of a better term, and the gorgs and sponges just drifted away. If that were the case you wouldn't see the white of LPS and SPS coral skeletons.

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone knows the co-ordinates of where the Tatoosh was told to drop anchor as she is still sitting there anchored according to AIS as of 12 minutes ago. I would assume her anchoring was pretty spot on i may be totally wrong but id take a wild stab in the dark and suggest Tatoosh would use dynamic positioning and/or have state of the art nav systems.
I think the upside here is at least it was one of Paul Allen's boats who is a big conservationist and ocean lover not some billionaire with a name like Vlad and a fondness for vodka.

@Littlerayray I was referring directly to the amount of chain, not line for scope. To have that much chain on a boat would be ridiculously heavy and have a detrimental impact on a boat's performance. The problem for smaller vessels, like my boat for example, is I can't stow that much line in the anchor well. To follow the 7:1 ratio I would need 700 feet at 100 fsw. Ain't gonna happen, but I can substitute a large portion of line for chain and reduce the amount of necessary scope to hold the bottom.

Wookie makes a great point about a shift in conditions turning the boat which would turn an environmentally safe setup to a damaging one.

I can identify some damage in the video. Perhaps this site was made up of mostly gorgonians and sponges and so when the anchor line went over the limestone it basically gave the reef a hair cut, for lack of a better term, and the gorgs and sponges just drifted away. If that were the case you wouldn't see the white of LPS and SPS coral skeletons.

I see your point

Just curious if anyone knows the co-ordinates of where the Tatoosh was told to drop anchor as she is still sitting there anchored according to AIS as of 12 minutes ago. I would assume her anchoring was pretty spot on i may be totally wrong but id take a wild stab in the dark and suggest Tatoosh would use dynamic positioning and/or have state of the art nav systems.
I think the upside here is at least it was one of Paul Allen's boats who is a big conservationist and ocean lover not some billionaire with a name like Vlad and a fondness for vodka.
Using DP would require the full crew (Captain or Mate and engineer) to be on watch while in port. Being on the hook would only require an anchor watch. No reason to stay in DP when the anchor will do the job as well.

It makes me giggle when I see people write "one of Paul Allen's boats"

to imagine he has multiple mega yachts baffles me.

anywho. Thanks @Wookie for the detailed explanations.

wonder if we can use marinetraffic to find the position of the yacht while at anchor.

As of 5 minutes ago I had her in Ocho rios, Jamaica. Where do you think she is?

from marinetraffic.com, looks like her location track from jan 30 until she left for Jamaica.

when did the anchor incident occur?

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-1_13-38-22.png
    upload_2016-2-1_13-38-22.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 67
It makes me giggle when I see people write "one of Paul Allen's boats"

to imagine he has multiple mega yachts baffles me.

anywho. Thanks @Wookie for the detailed explanations.

wonder if we can use marinetraffic to find the position of the yacht while at anchor.

He does have multiple yachts.

Ships Map - Vessel Tracking AIS Positions Map | AIS Marine Traffic

Ochos Rios - I must have been looking at a cached page - thanks

I understand once at anchor there would be no need to stay in DP..what I guess im curious about is has this happened before at this site when ships have been directed to use that anchorage?

Some of that damage does not look new.

scratch the above image, this appears to be from the time from it damaged the reef.

Attachments

• tatoosh proper.JPG
    tatoosh proper.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 48
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom