Subsurface 4.2 -- free (open source) dive log program for Windows, Mac, and Linux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's tha cable that came with the Vyper but there was no driver for it on the cd I just plugged it in & it worked.
After installing the driver I can now download from the computers.
After running the command it came back with:
/dev/tty /dev/ttysd
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/ttyse
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem /dev/ttysf
/dev/tty.BobiPhone-WirelessiAP /dev/ttyt0
/dev/tty.usbserial-ST023V8J /dev/ttyt1

Many thanks for you help, off to play with Subsurface.

Works very well with my Shearwater Petrel.

What's the trick? I have not been able to get subsurface to download dives since I switched from Galileo to Petrel.

It's tha cable that came with the Vyper but there was no driver for it on the cd I just plugged it in & it worked.
After installing the driver I can now download from the computers.
After running the command it came back with:
/dev/tty /dev/ttysd
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/ttyse
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem /dev/ttysf
/dev/tty.BobiPhone-WirelessiAP /dev/ttyt0
/dev/tty.usbserial-ST023V8J /dev/ttyt1

Many thanks for you help, off to play with Subsurface.
Excellent. /dev/tty.usbserial-ST023V8J should be the right device and I assume that Subsurface now offers that.
No idea why the Suunto software didn't need the driver - maybe they implement it in user space?
Anyway, glad this is working for you.

---------- Post added August 29th, 2014 at 08:26 AM ----------

What's the trick? I have not been able to get subsurface to download dives since I switched from Galileo to Petrel.
Have you looked through the manual? It's available from within Subsurface by pressing F1 (or on our website). In chapter 13.3 "Setting up bluetooth enabled devices" you'll find lots of useful info. If you still can't make it work, please let us know and I'll try to walk you through it.

Works very well with my Shearwater Petrel.

Just finished the download. This is my first Electronic Log Book...I am trying to come out of the pen and paper age. :)
I will have to try it with my Petrel this weekend.

Just tried to do mine. No clue how to get it to work. I turned off my wi-fi (as suggested in the manual). I assigned it to a Com Port. My PC recognizes it when I do that, but when I attempt to download in Subsurface it just sits there... waiting... for nothing...

I'll go check it out.

One thing I would like and I might not have found to is the ability to edit multiple dives at once. Do things like copy dive locations equipment etc so I can quickly enter info for the whole weekend in one shot without editing the XML file itself.

Last edited:
Just tried to do mine. No clue how to get it to work. I turned off my wi-fi (as suggested in the manual). I assigned it to a Com Port. My PC recognizes it when I do that, but when I attempt to download in Subsurface it just sits there... waiting... for nothing...

Would you mind contacting me on email so I can try to figure out what's wrong?
Or even better, file a ticket on http://trac.hohndel.org ? You'll need to create an account there (stupid spammers are ruining everything).

Last edited:
I'll go check it out.

One thing I would like and I might not have found to is the ability to edit multiple dives at once. Do things like copy dive locations equipment etc so I can quickly enter info for the whole weekend in one shot without editing the XML file itself.

That is indeed supported. Check the manual. You can select multiple dives and edit them.
The logic surprises some people. Only values that were identical before the edit are changed. So in the usual case, right after downloading from the dive computer it does what you'd expect.
But if you already edit some it gets a little more complicated.

OK I'll try that.

Have you dumped from your petrel before? There's a send log command in there. I'll post back once I have my petrel in hand.

---------- Post added September 7th, 2014 at 08:49 PM ----------

Looks like I'm out of luck. It's not in the repositories. Though I was a programmer/analyst for nearly 40 years (5 languages and 10 operating systems) I'm retired and not up to mastering another OS. Don't know any Linux/Unix jockies so ... too bad, so sad. Thanks for the input.

It appears you may be able to use the rpm from subsurface and install it with your package installer (apt-rpm?).
Here's a link to the rpm:
ftp://ftp.muug.mb.ca/mirror/fedora/.../os/Packages/s/subsurface-4.2-1.fc21.i686.rpm

If you need further help, post here or pm me.

Back
Top Bottom