Subsurface 4.2 -- free (open source) dive log program for Windows, Mac, and Linux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So please tell me how to download Oceanic's logbook to your Subsurface program. Thank you.
that's not MY Subsurface program :confused:

I don't have an Oceanic computer.

to import from the computer : menu Import -> from dive computer -> choose vendor and dive computer and device
to import from a previous Oceanic log, i think you have to open an account on divelogs.de, import from your Oceanic.log to divelogs.de then from divelogs.de to SubSurface

Not seeing it in the drop down list?

11-10-2014 12-36-21 PM.jpg

OH - I thought you, DuboisP, was one of the designers. :)

It was so easy to download Suunto's divelogs - and it was Suunto's program (DM4 & DM5) that is so terrible !!!!

I guess I'll just stay with my other program - (Oceanic) for the Oceanic Veo 250. It's OK, but I was hoping to combine the two into Subsurface. I don't want too complicated, and it seems like it is getting to be a hassle with no "easy answer".

But I am very very very happy to get away from Suunto's mess and download my VYTEC to Subsurface. :)

OH - I thought you were one of the designers. :)
That would be me - I'm actually the maintainer of the Subsurface project :)
It was so easy to download Suunto's divelogs - and it was Suunto's program (DM4 & DM5) that is so terrible !!!!

I guess I'll just stay with my other program - (Oceanic) for the Oceanic Veo 250. It's OK, but I was hoping to combine the two into Subsurface. I don't want too complicated, and it seems like it is getting to be a hassle with no "easy answer".

But I am very very very happy to get away from Suunto's mess and download my VYTEC to Subsurface. :)
I have not the slightest idea why you think this is hard.
I suggested that you ask for help on our forum (this way others can chime in and other users can later see the answers), but I'm happy to help you here.
So, at one point you asked about downloading from the Veo 250 and creating a new divelog for it.
I suggested you try to simply load it into the SAME divelog. Subsurface is specifically designed to handle data from multiple dive computers in the same dive entry. This way you only have to enter things like Location, Buddy, suit, viz, weights, gear, etc. ONCE. If you have two log files you need to do that twice. That seems very wasteful to me. But hey, maybe you like that.
As I said in my previous answer, simply close your current log file and download from the Veo. When you then save the logfile you can give a different name to it. And then you will have both of these files in the File Menu so you can easily switch back and forth between them.
In another post you asked about importing your existing log from that horrible piece of crap software that Oceanic afflicts on its customers. I personally find this to be among the worst that's out there. Sadly it only provides two rather bad options for exporting your data, txt and DL7. You should be able to import the TXT file into Subsurface, but you may need some help from us - I'm not sure if the CSV importer will be able to parse the file without minor modifications...
If you want to go down this path, feel free to contact us at our forum and we'll be happy to help - User Forum | Subsurface

---------- Post added November 10th, 2014 at 11:14 AM ----------

:D
i agree
according the user forum, the Atomic support is broken in 4.2 version.
It's actually just missing from the Windows installer. I simply need to recreate that binary. It works on Mac and Linux.

a "repaired" version exists, you can try it at your own risk.

http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/daily/subsurface-4.2-205-g272f85bb2444.exe
This should recognize the Cobalt 2
Yeah, that's a daily build (as the path indicates). It has some rough edges and new features on our way to 4.3
Feel free to try that - but if you'd rather stay safe I'll update the 4.2 binaries later today.

Edited to add: yep, those are up now. Simply re-download the Windows installer and re-install and the support for the Atomics Aquatics Cobalt should magically work :)

Last edited:
dirkhh,

First of all I want to thank you for the Subsurface Dive program.

I did go to the forum that you suggested. I'm sorry, but I found it very uncomfortable to have to sign up with Google who wants to link me altogether with other people/groups ect by name. I am a psychologist by profession and like to keep my distance from some patients. Google insists upon identifying me by name etc and tying everything together. I once considered Google our friend, not anymore. I love a forum like ScubaBoard, or BoaterEd or others where you can choose the amount of anonymity and friendship (of which I've made a few on these boards) you want.

About why I "think this is hard". I'm in my sixties and have over 500 dives. My Oceanic Veo 250 has been with me since 2007 and over the years I have downloaded the dives onto the Oceanic software. Yes, I could get the last 30 or 50 dives by downloading directly from my Veo 250, but that would leave out three Red Sea trips, Japan, Thailand, and of course many trips to Hood Canal, Monterey, etc. What was hard was when I tried to get my dives from the terrible Oceanic software to your Subsurface software.

It was easy to download from my Suunto terrible awful software to your Subsurface software. Again, downloading it directly from the Suunto VYTEC is easy, but would only give me about 30 dives. But you made it easy from the Suunto software as well - and transferred 200+ dives (I haven't counted them) from my Suunto software to Subsurface.

I really thought that it would be easy to do the same with the Oceanic software - but it proved to be impossible. That is why its so hard. :)

DuboisP suggested copying from the Oceanic software to the online divelogs.de and then to Subsurface. I may try this tonight.

You didn't know why I would not mix dive computers together. It's because I didn't know what would happen - your manual doesn't say (I read the entire manual last night). Besides, I couldn't even get the Oceanic dives to transfer in the 1st place to even try this. I still don't know what it would look like if I co-mingled them. Maybe I'll try this tonight as well. :)

Thank you for your help here. Sorry I'm such a bother - but I do have trust issues - Particularly with Google. I love ScubaBoard and I wish you could have established a forum here.

drdaddy

How would we establish a user forum here? I'm certainly open to ideas...

hmmm.. Maybe ask NetDoc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom