Subsurface 4.3 has been released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Subsurface development team proudly announces release 4.3 of Subsurface, an open source divelog and dive planning program for Windows, Mac and Linux.

SOME OF THE CHANGES SINCE
SUBSURFACE 4.2

Subsurface now supports flexible filtering of the dive list. When the filter is opened,one can specify a combination of different criteria like tags, people who were on the dive, dive site, suit, etc. While filtering one can see how many dives
match any of the criteria, and how many dives match the combination of the selected criteria (see the panel below the main menu in the image below)

V4.3_Subsurface_filter.jpg

When editing a dive, one can now copy information about a dive and paste it into one or more other dives. This makes it easy to add the same equipment, buddies, tags or other aspects of a dive into a group of dives with similar characteristics.

The dive profile now offers an easy to understand tissue saturation graph that shows tissue saturation at any point during the dive. (See image below)

V4.3_CylBars.jpg

In the dive profile one can turn on an improved visualization of the gas combinations used during a dive (aka “tank bar” with different gases represented by different colours, see image above).

Owners of the Heinrichs & Weikamp OSTC 2 and 3 as well as dive computers in the popular Suunto Vyper family of dive computers can configure the settings of their dive computers using Subsurface.

For a number of dive computers Subsurface now downloads additional data and shows them in a new tab on the screen. This includes (depending on the dive computer) information like battery levels, no fly times, Gradient Factors used during the dive, etc. This feature is enabled in all official Subsurface binaries and includes the Uemis Zurich SDA. When building from source this requires a custom version of libdivecomputer (as explained in the INSTALL file).

The dive planner now offers the ability to re-plan dives and to create duplicate dive plans in order to plan multiple scenarios.

We added support for several new dive computers including the Suunto EON Steel, Aeris A300 CD, and Aeris F11.

Subsurface can now import dive logs from Liquivision and Cochran software as well as the new Suunto DM5.

We made many improvements for UDDF and CSV import, UDDF export now complies with the latest version of the standard.

Many issues with the HTML export were addressed.

Initial support for closed circuit rebreathers (CCR) and pSCR was added. Dive logs from the Poseidon MkVI CCR can be imported. Visualization of dive logs as well as dive planning should work -- but this feature is fairly early in its development and we assume that there may be a few bugs and mis-features hidden in this area. Here is a dive profile for a Poseidon MkVI:

V4.3_CCR.jpg

Other notable improvements

• Import of manually logged dives (e.g., from an existing paper logbook) is now much better documented in the user manual. Instead of having to individually enter each dive with the graphical profile editor users can add all their dives in a spreadsheet and import the data from there into Subsurface in one single operation.
  • Many other small improvements to the planner
  • Many small UI changes for better use on small displays (tighter columns and column headers on the dive list, the toolbox of icons no longer
    forces a minimum height of the profile, etc)
  • Improvements on HiDPI displays
  • We fixed an annoying bug where when starting to edit a dive the pop-up with completions would cover the edit line (this usually happened when editing tags)
  • For the (rather unusual) dive computers that send a heading event in every sample we automatically declutter the profile display now
  • The Windows installer is smarter: the 64bit installer refuses to install its binaries on a 32bit OS and conversely the installer warns you when installing 32bit binaries on a 64bit OS
  • Better synchronization with divelogs.de, including support for multiple tanks

Known bugs

• There appears to be a bug in Qt: when changing the password needed authenticate with a proxy, Subsurface will not use the new password until after a restart

Hi Dirk
I am a new diver, but a long-time fan and supporter of open source software.

I was delighted to discover Subsurface. Congratulations on 4.3!

Still no version for PCLinuxOS. I know, I know - you can't do everything. Just wishing.

I actually looked at the packaging instructions. But you can't even build for it on OBS. It's like they are actively trying to prevent people from providing packages...

I actually looked at the packaging instructions. But you can't even build for it on OBS. It's like they are actively trying to prevent people from providing packages...

Wow. Any advice as to what version of Linux that would support Subsurface and not be too alien to me - long time programmer/analyst who refused to give up Win-XP because I retired and do not want to learn another Op Sys (Besides the newer versions of Windows suck big time). During my employ I mastered 5 mainframe OS, 3 mini OS, and 4 PC OS and multiple languages. That's enough. Stick a fork in me - I'm done.

So Windows XP is supported and frequently tested. We have a surprising number of users still on XP.
Or try Linux Mint 7.1. That should be somewhat comparable in ease of use to PCLinuxOS.

I just got yet another support question in PM. That really doesn't scale... so I'll move this hear instead.

The user in question owns an Aladin Tec and is wondering if we can import data from ScubaPro SmartTRAK software which is stored in an .slg file...

I'm not aware of this file format. Many of the file formats are easy to deal with, some are insanely silly or even encrypted. So without seeing such a file it's hard to tell.
One thing to look at is the software itself. Does it have a way to export your dive data? Maybe as UDDF? Or at least as CSV?

SmartTRAK allows export only in the following formats (as listed in the export tool):

SmartTRAK - Failed to parse .slg
TravelTRAK CE - Failed to parse .asd
DAN DL7 Level 3 - won't export this format due to another error
DAN DL7 Level 1 - Failed to parse .zxu
Microsoft Excel - Failed to parse .xls
Profile as Text - No matching DC found for file
All Files (*.*) - Naming the file as a .csv resulted in a failed to parse. Didn't expect anything else, but I thought I'd take a shot at it.

It looks to me as though the log files are incompatible. SmartTRAK is running the latest version, I think it's Dec 2014.

By the way, I'm not expecting you to add support for this if you don't have it and aren't familiar with the format. I was just curious if you'd run across this since the Aladin TEC is listed as supported and SmartTRAK is the software that came with the computer.

Can you give us access to a sample slg file, a .asd file, an .xls file and a text file, all of the same hand full of dives? Ideally including some deco dives, multiple tanks, gas changes, etc?
We're happy to look at adding support for new formats and having all four for the same set of dives has the highest likelihood that we can decode one of them :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom