Subsurface Mobile + Chromebook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmarks

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any luck running Subsurface Mobile on a Chromebook? I was really hoping I could get it to connect to my Vyper Air via the USB3 port on my Acer R13, but nothing so far. The DC recognizes that it is connected and enters data transfer mode, but if I go into the Subsurface App and try to connect it to the Vyper Air, it can't make the connection and just immediately gives me the option to retry or quit. I understand there might be some issues with android opening the serial port, so maybe that's what is happening.

I can use the app just fine if I want to do everything manually, which I very much do not. I could also probably connect to the Windows app on my desktop and upload everything to the cloud, but that doesn't help me when I'm on vacation.

Old thread, but thought I'd semi-close the loop. Was searching for the same answer and came across this thread about it which wasn't in the Dive Software forum.

tl;DR - People have been unsuccessful on Chromebook, but have connected Android phones & Subsurface mobile with USB-OTG adapter cables. I've just done this with my Pixel 4XL & Oceanic OCi - have temporarily given up on connecting Chromebook directly.

There is a headless version of Subsurface that runs on a RaspberryPi. You could use the Pi to connect to the dive computer and upload the dives to the Subsurface cloud and then access them with the Chromebook.

When my wife and I were using Suuntos, I never could get them to connect to Subsurface mobile on either hers or my phone (both HTC). And like you, it would would show that it was connected. I'd had no trouble what-so-ever with Subsurface on my PC.

But when we switched over to Oceanics, they immediately connected and I was able to download out dives to the mobile app on both phones. I was ready to chalk it up to Suuntos just not being compatible with the mobile app, but then my granddaughter got certified and I gave her my Vyper Novo to use. After her first post-certification dives, just for giggles, I hooked it up to her phone and low and behold, it downloaded the dives to her phone (LG). So now I'm thinking that it may have just been that HTC phones are not compatible with downloading from Suuntos.

All this is to say that it could just be the particular Chromebook you are using. But that's just speculation on my part and something to consider.

ETA: ehhh, just saw that this is an older thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom