successful search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggy1

Reaction score
Our dive team recently got our 1st call out to search for a handgun used in a fatal shooting. I wanted to give a brief history of the formation of our dive team. It started as a concept that I had shared with a coworker with my dept and has formulated to the point that we are now a team that is ready for a call out and can perform the task asked of us safely and effectively. While we are still new, we have well trained persons and very eager members who work great with one another. Our Team is made up of Police, and fire department officers. Myself and an another Officer with my Dept and a fireman with our local fire dept went to DR1 school last August. We then formed a multi-agency dive team and signed interagency agreements with many of the municipal agencies and volunteer fire departments in our area. We spent many months talking to many Dept heads trying to get them "on board" with the multiagency team that we had formed. We encountered many setbacks and,... some of the dept heads were interested but just didnt take action while a couple totally got on board and were, and are a vital part of our success. I decided to post this because you see many posts titled how do i get started. Well,... here's my advise,..... First,... get signed up for a Dive Rescue 1 course. It will give you valuable knowledge on how to start a team and how to manage every aspect of the mission. Second, Train,...Train,...Train,... Third, Dont get discouraged when forming a team,.... stick to it and it will slowly turn into something great. A couple of years ago I would have never imagined just how many support people are needed to conduct a mission. Being a diver,.... divers were all I was thinking about, and there is so much more. Below is the article on our recent call out mission.

The Daily Tribune Online - News

Good Luck and be safe out there,
Johnny Millwood
Northeast Texas Search and Recovery Team
Asst. Dive Team Leader
email: jmbear328@yahoo.com

Good work!!! Excellent article..... Has there been more interest in the team now?

Actually,. it has now renewed the interest of the local Police Department to get a couple of their Officers certified, trained and on the team. We have a current interagency agreement with their City, but at this time they currently don't have any divers, and this kinda proved the value of a good team to them now since they were the requesting agency.

Johnny Millwood
Northeast Texas Search and Recovery Team
Asst. Dive Team Leader
email: jmbear328@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom