Sucking air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey bear : It's "your air" breath it!!!!!! there is more to worry about than air consumption.Like having fun!!!!!!

Brand0n:
soon as i hit 30-40 feet i sink like a rock and have trouble staying of the bottem.

This is an odd predicament. To be positive to 30 to 40 feet?
Are you wearing a dry suit? :06:

Dive-aholic:
Just keep working on the breathing. It will all come together sooner or later. There's no dive number for anyone in particular. It took me close to 100 dives, but I also got those 100 dives done in my first year diving. It you only do 30 or 50 dives a year, it might take you 150 or 200 dives. Just be patient and dive, dive, dive!

Thanks for the encouragment Diveaholic. I took your encouragement and dove with it. Three great dives this weekend! I did my first really deep dive and I was worried about my air consumption. But I must admit I had more than enough air, surfacing with 1600 psi left in my tank. Given, it was a short dive, but it was very deep (127 feet) and I was expecting more air to be used. The total dive time (including the deep saftey stop and shallow safety stop) was 18 minutes. BTW, if you want to see the cool wreck we dove, check out the forum from the Great LAkes Wrecking Crew, Port Washington Dive Report. Go to the last page, where moneysavr and I reported on the dive. moneysavr attacht a picture too.

Now to the question: Why do I seem to actually breath better at depth? Is it something psychological, or is it because your no deco time is so short that you don't even have a chance to breath out your tank?

Buoyant1:
Why don't more boats have tanks other than 80's available? I used a 95 a few weeks back and got serious bottom time from it.

I know that the option to buy is good for diving near home, but for a trip to somewhere exotic or as close as the Keys, it's a hassle to carry them?

Maybe the ops should consider this for us newbies?

Because then you do get to stay down longer and that cuts into their profit margin. The sooner you get back on the boat, the sooner they get back to dock. :wink:

QUOTE=navillus]Thanks for the encouragment Diveaholic. I took your encouragement and dove with it. Three great dives this weekend! I did my first really deep dive and I was worried about my air consumption. But I must admit I had more than enough air, surfacing with 1600 psi left in my tank. Given, it was a short dive, but it was very deep (127 feet) and I was expecting more air to be used. The total dive time (including the deep saftey stop and shallow safety stop) was 18 minutes. BTW, if you want to see the cool wreck we dove, check out the forum from the Great LAkes Wrecking Crew, Port Washington Dive Report. Go to the last page, where moneysavr and I reported on the dive. moneysavr attacht a picture too.

Now to the question: Why do I seem to actually breath better at depth? Is it something psychological, or is it because your no deco time is so short that you don't even have a chance to breath out your tank?[/QUOTE]

Very cool. 1600!!! That's great, but wasn't there anything else to see shallower? I'll check out the dive report here shortly.

As for the lower consumption at depth - it has nothing to do with NDL. Physics is physics. You'll breath 5x as much air at 5ATA as you will on the surface. It was probably largely psychological. You've been thinking about this and wanting to do better and you did! Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom