Sudbury (but willing to travel) - Best, closest dive instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leakydrysuit

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I live in Sudbury, but I did all my dive training in southern Ontario. I am looking into dive training for two teenaged children and am quite ignorant about the local dive scene. I am willing to travel out of town for good instruction.

I have previously taken recreational and technical diving courses with PADI, IANTD and GUE. I go something out of all of these courses and am not a snob about what organization provides the certification. Again, good instruction is the key element I'm looking for.

I would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks.

You might want to get in contact with RE Scuba out of Sturgeon Falls.

There used to be a pretty good dive shop on Barrydowne Road IIRC tucked into a little strip mall on a corner about 1/2 way between the Kingsway & the Mall.

Have you been to The Scuba Shop on Notre Dame Ave across from Staples?

There used to be a pretty good dive shop on Barrydowne Road IIRC tucked into a little strip mall on a corner about 1/2 way between the Kingsway & the Mall.

Have you been to The Scuba Shop on Notre Dame Ave across from Staples?

I think the first shop you mentioned must be gone. I have been to the other shop. Owner seems like a nice guy. No idea what the quality of instruction is like.

we are 2 hours away ...udt diving we teach most courses up to instructor

I realize this is an older post, however taking covid into consideration I figured you my possibly be looking for info.
Scuba training in Sudbury is limited to two option. The Dolphin Aquatic Club, and The Scuba Shop.
Both are excellent choices for training.
The club is one of the oldest scuba clubs in Canada and teaches the ACUC program. There are a number of volunteer instructors teaching for the club, and they spend a good amount of time teaching not only the water skills, but also the theory behind diving. The open water couse gives you all the knowledge necessary to dive to the 130ft limit of recreational diving, however it is stressed that you really should gain experience and more training before diving below 80ft. Progressing, Advanced and Rescue are taught together as they really should be the min courses a recreational diver should take. More advanced and professional courses are also offered.
Once certified, members can get training on the compressor, and will be given the access code to fill their own tanks at their leisure.
Or search them on FB

Mike at The Scuba Shop has many years of experience as a Padi instructor, and last I heard has a second fully certified instructor, as well as several dive masters and assistants teaching with him.
Mike runs a retail shop and keeps a good selection of gear on hand all the time.
The Padi program is the largest in the world and is based on a progression of courses as the diver gains experience. The shop also lists ACUC training as an option on the web page, however I believe they only actually teach the Padi program. The OWD course is basic and only certifies to 60ft, with more courses necessary as you progress. It's how Padi is structured, but The Scuba Shop can teach pretty much all of the Padi courses.
And can also be searched on FB

Both the club and the shop have excellent instructors, both offer quality training, and contrary to what you might hear both ACUC and Padi are recognized everywhere.

If you have not already found both these training courses or made a decision, then I hope this info is useful to you.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom