Suex xjoy2 - can it keep up with the big(ger) boys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I have a quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to in any previous threads. This seems like a good value scooter, but would it be able to keep decent pace with others like cuda 650s, or would you be like the slow driver on the road holding everyone up?

I'm considering a scooter to join in with a group of other divers who do lots of shore based, open water jaunts. The run time seems reasonable for this, but I'm kind of getting confused about what the numbers in the specs really mean.

Simply put, Thrust is how hard it can pull you along. More thrust can pull more gear and/or pull easier against current.
Speed numbers are how much distance it can cover in a minute. Typical cruise speed on modern scooters is around 150 feet per minute (fpm) /45 meters per minute.
Max speed is just that, where it tops out under ideal conditions.
Cruise speed is more important to know as it is how the battery time is rated.
Battery time is based upon running at cruise speed until the scooter dies. You don't want to run it that far down as it can damage the battery. Max speed will drain the battery substantially quicker.

That model is more geared toward casual recreational diving and won't keep up well with the Cuda you mentioned unless the plan is slow motoring for a shorter dive. It's well made and nice for its intended usage and is a step or two up from something like the bladefish. A simple analogy would be it's like a small Moped compared to a sport bike (motorcycle).

I have an Xjoy 2 and would say Jack Hammer's comments are right on. The xJoy2 is single speed. It is not a speed demon for keeping up with technical scooters at the high speed end. However it might not, actually, be that much slower than "faster" scooters at their cruising speeds and so you might not actually hold up your friends unless they want to race. It does, have excellent pulling power. It is far more that just a step above a bladefish in terms of quality and power. I mount a large camera rig on it and only notice a very slight decrease in speed. For single tank rec ocean diving and video shooting, I love mine. I also love the very reasonable cost and high quality.

Back
Top Bottom