Suffered DCS for the first time and terrified to dive again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbird71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did a couple of dives on Cozumel - both well within my no-deco limits. My dives:
#1: 90ft max depth (but most around 60), 50 minute bottom time
#2: (after 50 minute surface interval) 40-50ft maximum depth, 50 minute bottom time

I ended up having the table 6 decompression chamber treatment.

I am in generally good physical condition, and recently lost about 20 lbs. (now 5'9" 180lbs) I am technically a type II diabetic, although with my lifestyle changes I no longer require medication to control my blood sugar. Eating properly is something I always, always do while diving.

One factor that I think may be relevant is the cold: I was diving a 3/2 suit in 76 degree water. I dove the same wetsuit in Belize where the water was 80 degrees and was toasty warm. But in Cozumel I was very cold. I called my second dive early because of this.

Which tables were you using?
(or computer)

Running that profile on the Navy tables puts you outside the no deco limits-

1st dive 60 feet for 50 equals group I
(Can't use the real depth of 90 since that would put you over the limits on the first dive)

Group I for a 50 minute surface interval remains a group I

Group I going to 50 feet has 65 minutes RNT

2nd dive 50 min + 65 min RNT= 115 min @ 50 ft.

No deco limit for 50 feet is 92 minutes.

I'm going to guess that you were using a dive computer and following it's recommendations, so the difference between the tables and the actual loading as recorded by the computer for the dives probably had you under the computers no deco limits.

You can work the problem on any set of tables you'd care to but you'll find that looking at those as square wave dive you exceeded the no deco limits on any table out there.

Probably be a good idea to see your doc and see if he can locate any potential medical issues that might have contributed.

Might also want to consider upping the level of conservatism on your computer or getting a more conservative computer.

I am not surprised that someone diving that profile would take a hit. You were not, "well within no-deco limits." You were way into required staged deco.

TC:
1st dive 60 feet for 50 equals group I
(Can't use the real depth of 90 since that would put you over the limits on the first dive)

He was way over the limits on the first dive.

I agree with TC.

Re-check your dive profiles against any table and you will see that your over the line.

What kind of computer were you using?

I would not suggest testing for PFO until you read the recent DAN magazine discussion. I think you just screwed your tables, or do you dive a computer - and was in the yellow zone maybe?

What about your hydration? I really work at hydrating on dive trips.

Sorry you're terrified, but fear can be a good path to safety at times.

No, should I?
No! See the PFO article at this link: Alert Diver Online

A lot of SB members jump on the idea after one hit, but those experts don't.

So tell us about your dive computer and your hydration...??

TC:
Which tables were you using?
(or computer)

First, thanks for the detailed response. I use a Suunto Zoop dive computer. My understanding is that these are one of the more "conservative" computers. That being said, I know everyone has a different tolerance for DCS.

My depths/times are from memory, and it really didn't *seem* that I was coming close to exceeding my no-dec limits. The good news is I can download my dive profiles today and get a definitive answer.

The fact that this is likely human error makes me feel much better. I broke my DCS cherry with no serious effects, and learned many valuable lessons about my diving. First, don't just blindly follow a DM assuming its safe. Second, although computers are fantastic, I will now also use dive tables to plan my dive. Lastly, I will take more care to use the proper exposure equipment. I was being cheap when deciding to use a 3/2, even though I knew I'd be cold.

As an aside, the diving community, scubaboard members, (and DAN especially) have been extraordinary. If my health insurance company treated me 1/10th as well as DAN has, I'd feel blessed by a miracle.

Back
Top Bottom