Suffered DCS for the first time and terrified to dive again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So jbird, don't beat yourself up so hard, huh? Take all the information that's here, combine it, and learn from it, but don't blame yourself for what happened, especially not before you've been evaluated by a diving physician.

Thanks for that. I'm not particularly 'beat up', although I will be if it turns out that I am no longer able to dive. It was a particularly costly endeavor however - even with DAN insurance. My incident happened on the first day so it wasn't much of a vacation.

I'm going through a difficult divorce this year so I had invested in scuba gear as a hobby to make some friends and keep my mind off things. I have to say that the response has been pretty fantastic, and I definitely feel part of a community.

Hi farside,
Yours is a great case to demonstrate how really unclear a role PFO plays in decompression illness. Of course the sheer number of dives doesn't affect inert gas uptake as much as depth, bottom time and surface intervals between the dives, so the dives you were making when you had the DCI incident may have resulted in a higher inert gas load than your typical pattern of diving. If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know what type of corrective procedure you had and what you were told about possible complications. I think your plan to use nitrox on air tables is just fine and will definitely add an element of safety to your diving.

Safety Stops...! :thumb:

It bothered me that I could not recall why my dive profile was so atypical and it didn't appear that I had used a safety stop (which is something I would never ever do).

I think I have found the answer: it was a drift dive. About 10 minutes before the agreed-upon end of the dive, I indicated to the DM that I was cold, ok, but surfacing early. He said ok, sent up the safety noodle, and stayed with the rest of the group. I recall having difficulty maintaining my depth while also keeping my eye on the noodle which was moving at quite a speed. I didn't want to lose sight of the noodle, as its the one the boat driver would recognize. The last thing I wanted was myself coming up after a proper safety stop but a mile away from the boat because of the current.

I was told that the "Navy Rules" were 90 days. I will take the advice of the doctor that sees me to certify me to dive again.
The times I posted were from the U.S. Navy Diving Manual. The CF recommendations are the same (1 week for completely resolved type I DCS, 30 days for type II). Go with what the doc tells you, though, because his recommendations will be based on your individual case.

It was a particularly costly endeavor however - even with DAN insurance.

Hi jbird71,

Between you regular health care coverage, CritiCall and a quality DAN dive accident insurance plan, this unhappy event shouldn't been a "particularly costly endeavor." Are you sure you've received all benefits to which you are entitled?

Regards,

DocVikingo

I would be happy to get that info doc duke. It was not a classic pfo procedure as the location of the hole was not un the usual location. It had a 3 letter name I beleive. I'll get back with you. the same device as pfo was used. I was ordered not to do much for a month then free ticket to ride (no restrictions). Possible complications are that the device might come out and start bouncing around. It didn't. Had several followups but no problems.Tissue has now "locked" the device in place.

It bothered me that I could not recall why my dive profile was so atypical and it didn't appear that I had used a safety stop (which is something I would never ever do).

I think I have found the answer: it was a drift dive. About 10 minutes before the agreed-upon end of the dive, I indicated to the DM that I was cold, ok, but surfacing early. He said ok, sent up the safety noodle, and stayed with the rest of the group. I recall having difficulty maintaining my depth while also keeping my eye on the noodle which was moving at quite a speed. I didn't want to lose sight of the noodle, as its the one the boat driver would recognize. The last thing I wanted was myself coming up after a proper safety stop but a mile away from the boat because of the current.
Ah ha, ok, thanks. I was thinking your blew the SS because you were cold maybe. My bud & I finally started carrying our own spools with sausages so we can shoot our own from wherever, mostly to avoid being hit on the surface - hopefully, as we almost lost a sausage to a boat last trip. We each carry mirrors, dive lights, camera strobes, inline whistles, and storm whistles, and get to blow the inline whistles now and then. You only forget to duck your head in the water with those once. :shocked2:

I would be happy to get that info doc duke. It was not a classic pfo procedure as the location of the hole was not un the usual location. It had a 3 letter name I beleive. I'll get back with you. the same device as pfo was used. I was ordered not to do much for a month then free ticket to ride (no restrictions). Possible complications are that the device might come out and start bouncing around. It didn't. Had several followups but no problems.Tissue has now "locked" the device in place.

ASD (atrial septal defect)? Thanks, I'd love to know the name of the device.

Hello Readers:

PFOs and PFOs

As is true of many things in life, there are PFOs and PFOs. While the incidence in the general population is the same for men [26.8%] and women [27.6%], and the number of PFOs decreases with age [determined by autopsy]. In contrast, the diameter of the opening increases with age, as determined at autopsy.

In the general population, these are associated with “paradoxical stroke.” This describes stoke in the absence of factors such are plaque in the carotid arteries or clots coming from the left side of heart. Most of what we know about PFO and stroke come from studies from outside the diving community.

At NASA, we found that a test subject that had many Doppler bubbles following decompression but did not arterialize these bubbles when he was seated in then upright position. He did arterialize bubbles during a PFO test when he was recumbent. We hypothesized this difference was possibly the result of blood flow difference when recumbent or because of Coanda-effect flow patterns from the legs [bubbles were from the legs] and the eustacian valve.

Reference: Powell, MR, KV Kumar, WT Norfleet, and J Waligora, B Butler. Arterial bubbles with saline contrast via patent foramen ovale but not with hypobaric decompression. Aviation, Space Environ. Med., 66, 273-275, (1995).

Valsalva’s Maneuver

Valsalva’s maneuver, as most divers know, consists of a big inspiration, a breathe hold with force [with the glottis closed for about ten seconds], and a quick release of pressure. One transesophageal echo (TEE) ultrasound study showed that, of those with a PFO, 92% demonstrated a shunt with the maneuver or coughing and 57% had a shunt at rest [no pressure/released needed]. The TEE study did not show an age dependence on size of number.

There are actually many maneuvers that mimic Valsalva’s and can result in arterialization – as I mentioned several postings [days] before. They masquerade as common actions. These can easily be performed by divers and no thought is given. These concern anything that involves short, breath holding and straining. These events have been implicated in transient global amnesia [TGA], a type of paradoxical stroke. In patients with global amnesia in whom Valsalva-like activities immediately preceded the onset of TGA, frequency of PFO was 55%, and 47% of these reported a precipitating activity (e.g., lifting heavy furniture, digging out the roots of a tree, strenuous defecation, filling a concrete mixer, and pumping bicycle tires) immediately before the TGA occurred. Clearly, CNS DCS could occur when divers climb ladders onto the boat with their dive gear, lift tanks and other gear following a dive or otherwise “huff and puff about.” An unknown event to most divers is coughing. That’s right! This is quite hypothetical, but under the wrong circumstances, DCS might result. Normally this does not occur or divers would be dropping like flies.

Reference: Klötzsch C, Sliwka U, Berlit P, Noth J. An increased frequency of patent foramen ovale in patients with transient global amnesia. Analysis of 53 consecutive patients. Arch Neurol. 1996 Jun;53(6):504-8.

Some Recommendations

[1] Be certain to avoid Valsalva-like maneuvers.
[2] Unless the circumstances warrant it, do not have the PFO closed. Closure might be necessary for a commercial diver but not a recreational one. Recreational divers can make many variations in their dive program.

The complications from closure can be serious and are many-fold greater that a reoccurrence of DCS.

Dr Deco :doctor:

There are actually many maneuvers that mimic Valsalva’s and can result in arterialization – as I mentioned several postings [days] before. They masquerade as common actions. These can easily be performed by divers and no thought is given. These concern anything that involves short, breath holding and straining. These events have been implicated in transient global amnesia [TGA], a type of paradoxical stroke. In patients with global amnesia in whom Valsalva-like activities immediately preceded the onset of TGA, frequency of PFO was 55%, and 47% of these reported a precipitating activity (e.g., lifting heavy furniture, digging out the roots of a tree, strenuous defecation, filling a concrete mixer, and pumping bicycle tires) immediately before the TGA occurred.

This is fascinating. So are you saying that one of the standard ear equalization techniques taught can result in an increased risk of DCS? What, exactly is TGA? Signs, symptoms, etc. How is TGA linked to DCS.

I'm very hopeful that you can elaborate on this subject.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom