Suggested destinations for diver with snorkelling wife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I've been diving since 2000 and recently had a dream trip (only 4 days!) to The Maldives. It was everything we had both dared to dream of.....The diving was fantastic and my wife was able to snorkel whilst we were underwater. And when I wasn't diving we spent every possible moment snorkelling together. I was finally able to get fairly close to my first sharks (white tips) while diving and then gob smacked to actually get a damn sight closer to one whilst snorkelling only about 20 metres from our water bungalow in about 2.5 metres of water! Amazing! And the abundance of marine life, close up and in shallow water gave my wife a real chance to see all the things she normally misses out on because she can't / won't dive.
Anyway, it was SO good that we decided to go for 2 weeks in March next year. And then we saw the cost. It is unbelievably expensive, and unjustifiable on our income.
So the question is .... Is there somewhere else we could go where the diving would be comparable but also where the snorkelling is fantastic too? I guess a house reef would be best for the snorkelling, and I'm keen to get to see more sharks, and hopefully Mantas and Eagle Rays. We would ideally like to go on an all inclusive package, but are quite happy to book room only / B&B if it's somewhere where eating out wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. We are in our mid 50's, so back-packing is a distant memory and not really feasible.
Hopefully we will get some good ideas from those of you with more experience than ourselves. So "Thanks" in anticipation.

So the question is .... Is there somewhere else we could go where the diving would be comparable but also where the snorkelling is fantastic too?
Sipadan.
Unfortunately due to permit allowance restriction, you're not allowed to go everyday on Sipadan island, however when you can go, I stand it is probably the best snorkeling in the world. Loads of turtles and sharks, schools of 'cudas, jackfish or bumphead parrotfish.

Hi Louie,

I would that a very easy destination for divers with snorkling buddy could be Bali?

The Island itself have a lot to offers and you could go around Amed / Tulamben ? The Snorkling is not the best, but in Amed you can snorkl over a Plane Wreck, and in Tulamben you can easily take a look at the USS Liberty, wich would be a great dive for you, while your wife can take a look from above :)

It's just a few meters from the beach and the wreck is really amazing.. especially by night...

You've got every kind of accomodation rate and while dry, well Bali is just a wonderfull place to discover.

If you're looking for sharcks, there's pretty often some black tip in the shallow between the USS liberty and "Coral Garden" in Tulamben as well :)

Beside this, you can go to Nusa Penida / Lembogan or the Gilis to chill with dive going from very good in Penida to ok in Gilis Island.Not much coral for snorkling around Gilis, but a looooot of turtles so it can be good for your wife :)

Also the water is 30° and crystal clear...

Let me know if want more info :)

Fred.

By the way, for the Mantas, if you're around, you can go to Lembogan to Manta Point, you can easily Snorkl with them, or you can dive as well. They are not 100% guaranteed, but I've been there 3 times and saw them three times.. My friends were non divers but they clearly where blown to see those beautys, and one did a Discovery right after :wink:

Fred.

Back
Top Bottom