Suggestion Suggesting a Sony Group in UW Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
slowhands

slowhands

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There has been a lot of interest in some of the newer Sony NEX cameras and of course their Point and Shoot Cams too for underwater. I asked if there might be interest in a Sony Group in Undwerwater Photography Subgroup and there seemed to be some.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/365008-sony-group-needed.html

Why now? In case you missed it, Sony has several mirrorless cams that are small, but potent. There are some nice lenses too, macro, wide. Nauticam, Aquatica and ACQUAPAZZA announced housings for the NEX-5, Ikelite might do one.
Sony NEX-5 Nauticam USA
Aquatica Digital - Featuring an extensive line of underwater housings for Nikon and Canon digital cameras
UWdigitalcamera.com :: DSLR housing :: ACQUAPAZZA :: ACQUAPAZZA APSO-NEX5 housing for SONY DSC-NEX5

So several serious players think this is worth investing their R&D and marketing resources in, and there are some excellent UW photograpers who have already jumped in too. I believe there will be a lot of new interest in this line, and ongoing interest in the Sony Point and shoot cams too. Hence, new group?

[Just for fun, I'm posting a link to my buddy's Youtube video of a tortoise lazing around at Moalboal, shot with a Sony T100]
YouTube - Swimming with Green Turtle in Moal Boal, Philippines

The scubaboard moderator wants a poll to gauge interest, and at least 12 members must respond. So here's a poll, and I'm leaving it up to you all to push this forward.

What shall we name it?

Sony Slam
Sony Snappers
Sony Soiree
Sony Stylin
Sony Surge

From DPreview

Meanwhile, the NEX concept will expand in several directions, he said: 'The concept of the NEX 3 and 5 were for people who already have a compact stills camera and want to take a step up, but see a traditional DSLR as big, heavy and hard to use. We think these models are a very good fit to those customers. But also there are customers using NEX in addition to their DSLR, so we're planning to expand NEX in a more easy way, a lighter way, but we'll also expand to make models that have more manual control and more DSLR-like capability.'
Imamura repeated the enthusiasm he expressed at Photokina for the use of legacy lenses on the NEX system: 'with lens adapters, people can combine their valued, heritage lenses with a very advanced digital body. We didn't expect that kind of usage. There are lots of interesting things we can do for those types of customer.' The wait for these models may not be too long - at a formal dinner after our interview he told the assembled journalists that: 'the successors to the NEX-3 and NEX-5 are on the horizon.'

I think there will be a lot of interest in NEX during the next 12 months.​

Last edited:
Here are few more possibilities! :wink:
Sony Shelter
Sony Scene
Sony Society
Sony Slobs

Budda Boom Budda Bump!

As of Jan 23, we have 14 yes votes (12 needed for new forum). I hope the boss man is watching.

As of Jan 23, we have 14 yes votes (12 needed for new forum). I hope the boss man is watching.

The topic has been brought up to staff and is under discussion. If an agreement is reached, we will post the details.

Staff gave the go ahead for this and another new forum. If nothing crazy comes up, I'll try and sit down to create them and get them set up one night this week.

Back
Top Bottom