Suggestions for a Dive Holiday in Early January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sylvie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All

Here's a fun question. It looks like I can take a one week dive holiday during the first week of January and was wondering were to go for such a short time. There is also a slight chance that I can bridge it with the official Christmas /New Year's break, but at this point, I can't bet on it. I am hoping top get some enlightening ideas here.

I've been told that Europe and the Rea Sea are too cold and windy in early January, and besides I've just returned from Egypt. I'd love to go somewhere warm and exotic, but I'm not too keen on 12 hour flight and major jet lag. That's fine for two weeks or more, but for one week holiday, I'd rather not.

I've thought of Kenya (Mombassa area), Zanzibar, Cape Verde, but I don't know much about the diving there. I know that a barrier reef runs along the East cost of Africa, but I don't know of the equatorial diving conditions, except that there are supposedly many sharks out there. Are the corals in good condition? Many fish? What can I expect to see at that time of year? I have my own equipment, but I'd still like to dive with a reputable diving school.

I heard that the remote Cape Verde Islands are great for large fish, but the conditions are very rough, and only for the most experienced divers. Moreover, it's not exactly an easy destination to get to, nor is Zanzibar for that matter.

Does anyone know more details on these locations, can anyone suggest somewhere warm without too much yet lag from Central European Time. What about somewhere to go if I maliciously got two weeks offs and could venture a little further from my time zone? All suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Sylvie

Hi Sylvie, I was off the African coast 5 years ago. We dove out of Sodwanna Bay in the Indian Ocean. The diving wasn't as good as the Red Sea. In Sodwanna there are reefs at low profiles and there are all the exotic tropicals, but you also have a chance to see whale sharks, Baskin Sharks and some other Mr. Bigs like the Raggletooth sharks and if youre lucky,whales. But I have friends that live in South Africa that have said that Mozambique has some excellent reefs. I will tell you that the diving in S.A. was somewhat primative compared to Hurgada Egypt.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom