Suggestions for a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tickler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am currently intro to cave certified and have plans to take advanced nitrox and full cave later this year. That being said, I think that I will be needing a new dive computer because the mares puck that I have right now simply won't cut it anymore. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good one to invest in that will grow with me as I get Trimix certified and start using multiple gases? I have herd good things about both the shearwater petrel and the dive rite nitek q. What do you guys think? What does the extra few hundred dollars get me with the shearwater? What about air integration? Do either of these computers allow for this if I choose to get it down the road?

Thanks for your advice.

Petrel, which is not only a better-built computer without a stupid 'it leaks, your computer dies' USB plug, but one that comes with Shearwater's service and support reputation rather than Dive Rite's. If you want AI, maybe reconsider cave...were you seriously planning to put gas transmitters on each and every stage and deco bottle?

/thread

The petrel is amazing. Like Lecter said it would cost a small fortune to buy transmitters for all the tanks. You will hear lots of people praise the petrel because it's an amazing computer with the best customer service in the industry. YouTube some videos of the computers and compare them

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Eon steel! Adding a few 1000$ for enough transmitters, and not forgetting to sync again when you pick up a stage, that could work :D. I think a transmitter is something like 200-300$, the computer itself probably some 1500, so for 4000$ you'll have your redundant computers x)

Else, I'd go for OSTC or Petrel.... Xdeep seems a solution, but impossible to get atm.

Tickler why do you think your current computer is not meeting your dive needs?

Computers are just a tool. IMHO training is more important than cool computers. But if you really do need a new computer the Petrel is awesome.

Petrel without a doubt.

if you are planning on mix down the road you can't really look anywhere else but the Petrel, you sure as hell aren't going to be using AI when you get to that point and with the CAD as bad as it is right now you can't beat the prices they have on them....

Choose the deco algorithm you want and then buy a computer which runs it. For me, that's the Petrel these days.

What do you guys think? What does the extra few hundred dollars get me with the shearwater?

Thanks for your advice.

The extra few hundred dollars will get you:

- A rugged kick-ass computer that has the most ridiculously simple and intuitive user interface of any PDC I've ever seen.
- A highly versatile unit that can be used in a variety of modes to suit your type of diving whenever needed.
- The extremely convenient option of user changeable batteries - including a variety of battery choices.
- The best customer support you're likely to find from any manufacturer.

You may not need a Petrel... but if you're going to spend the dough - then look no further.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom