Suggestions for first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPDenny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking for suggestions for my first computer, something simple, that could be a back up later.
Things I'm looking for:
-Easy to use & read, (58 year old eyes)
-Easy to upload dives to keep log, bluetooth preferable, but even with a cable as long as it's reliable.
That's about it,
not worried about how conservative, etc
I'm not opposed to buying a more expensive computer like a Shearwater, because I plan to move to Florida when I retire in a couple of years & diving is going to be a big part of life, so I know the computer will get lots of use & like I said before, it could become a backup later.
I've been looking at the Cosmiq, but kind of wary, Deep 6, Mares Puck Pro, etc, it just seems like the info on uploading is scarce.

Thanks, & I hope you are all well, and not going as quarantine crazy as I am.

Cosmiq+ was a great concept but they’re unreliable. I went through three of them in about 12 months so I would discourage you from purchasing one.

I bought my wife a Deep 6 Gear Excursion as her first computer.

I use a Cressi Leonardo, if you're looking a bluetooth version I'd suggest Michelangelo.
I'm far sighted with astigmatism, and have trouble with smaller screens, and decided to go with this one. If this is still small, I suggest Mares Quad. So far I didn't have any problem with reading the computer.

They're cheap and reliable and much better than the beginner computers out there.

And as my club leader says, until you reach the need for a highly advanced computer, the technology will advance much further than what you've got.

I’m in a similar situation as you. I’m 58 and getting back into diving. I definitely like an easy to read screen. I’ve been looking at the aqualung i450t because I want air integration. I see Leisure Pro has them for $435. I was considering dropping the money on the Teric, but that’s a big chunk of change for recreational diving. I live in Wisconsin and am also thinking about moving to Florida in a few years.

If you have a problem seeing up close you can always get inserts for your mask. It helps to see little critters too! I got a Mares Puck and it`s a good computer. Don`t know about the uploading capabilities, but it`s very inexpensive.

I’m in a similar situation as you. I’m 58 and getting back into diving. I definitely like an easy to read screen. I’ve been looking at the aqualung i450t because I want air integration. I see Leisure Pro has them for $435. I was considering dropping the money on the Teric, but that’s a big chunk of change for recreational diving. I live in Wisconsin and am also thinking about moving to Florida in a few years.
Is the Aqualung i450T a good option in 2020?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom