Suggestions for first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's in your price range - Consider the Suunto Eon Core - it meets your criteria and I love mine.
  • Incredibly easy to use Interface
  • Very bright easy to read screen
  • Bluetooth uploads
The one caveat is the Suunto app is crap - for about $10 I use MacDive on my iphone -and Bluetooth upload direct to that.

Take the money you want to spend now, and the money you would spend later on a backup and just buy a Shearwater now and you won't need a backup later. Unless you get into tech diving - in which case, buy a 2nd Shearwater then and have the best combo of primary and backup.

I've had almost every model of Shearwater, back to the Predator*. I had the Perdix AI and a Teric at the same time for a while and dived them both together numerous times. I like the Teric so much better I sold the Perdix and bought a 2nd Teric for backup.

I am 54 and wear reading glasses in the +2 - 2.5 range. I do not use any corrective lenses in my mask (anymore - I used to a while back). I can read the Teric in Standard mode (versus Big mode) without much trouble. Sometimes a little squint and a little arm stretch.

*I currently have 2 Predators and a NERD2 for my CCR, and the 2 Terics for OC recreational and technical diving. In the past, I also had a Petrel 2 and a Perdix AI. Plus a small pile of non-Shearwater computers (in the past).

If you can't afford a Shearwater, new or used, go for the Deep 6 and stay away from Suunto or the other proprietary RGBM computers

A Shearwater is great but if you don't want to drop that much at this point in time, Oceanic computers are a great option. A Geo :). Should you decide to get another computer or upgrade, it would make a great backup but will also serve you well now.

(Suunto primary and backup was my first computer...I then moved onto a Shearwater Perdix AI and have an Oceanic Veo as a backup.)

Another vote for Teric. I use it in the big mode but readability is great either way. I have similar experience as @stuartv . I was looking for readers insert for my last computer but do not need it with Teric. If money is an issue, you can go non-AI for a while and get a transmitter at a later time. Good luck

I’m 65 I put an insert in my mask so I can see tiny critters, the computer and the camera, I use a Teric and I can read it without the insert but better with, except for the download requirement the Deep 6 is a nice computer for a great price. If you don’t want AI D6 is a good choice but the Teric is a more complete unit for the long haul.

And now there is the Shearwater Peregrine at $450 USD or Atmos Mission One for a few $ less and more features...if you have zero interest in Tec diving.

I'm looking for suggestions for my first computer, something simple, that could be a back up later.
Things I'm looking for:
-Easy to use & read, (58 year old eyes)
-Easy to upload dives to keep log, bluetooth preferable, but even with a cable as long as it's reliable.
That's about it,
not worried about how conservative, etc
I'm not opposed to buying a more expensive computer like a Shearwater, because I plan to move to Florida when I retire in a couple of years & diving is going to be a big part of life, so I know the computer will get lots of use & like I said before, it could become a backup later.
I've been looking at the Cosmiq, but kind of wary, Deep 6, Mares Puck Pro, etc, it just seems like the info on uploading is scarce.

Thanks, & I hope you are all well, and not going as quarantine crazy as I am.

Hello.
Shearwater live streaming update July 23
Shearwater Peregrine Manual P.D.F./Trifold Brochure
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom