Suggestions for must do dives in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know about their business practices, but just checked their boats on their website. No shelter from the sun or rain. The surface intervals might get awfully long without shelter. A number of very good operators including divetech, have already been mentioned on this post.
I'm in total agreement with your post. It's a financial issue for him and there is another friend of theirs joining us who wants to get his advanced done while there. If I remember you do the online or book portion of the advanced and then you do your individual dives etc. Divetech was charging $300 for the course. Don't think CTD was.

I will speak with Minnow today to see what we can work out.

I just spent the week with DNS and here is my mini trip report:

We did Macabuca/Tutrtle Reef as the first dive of the trip (Sunday PM) to shake the rust off my diving skills. It was an excellent first dive for the week. Very gradule decline and amazing sights! DNS also does it as a night dive, later in the week.

The rest of the week followed the DNS format of deep wall dive followed by a shallow reef dive. Hotel pick up and drop off. I was always back from the 2-tank AM outing in time to lunch with my non-diver wife. Oh yea, we never had more then 6 divers on the boat. When we had 6, it was because 2 we're doing the AOW training and they had their own dive master/instructor.

DNS also held onto my BC & Regs, rinsed them, and had it all ready to go with my desired weights the next day. If you want, you can take your gear with you, but hey, I'm on vacation! This way I just traveled with my snorkel, fins, mask and incidentals.

Do yourself a favor and put "Princess Penny's Pinnacle" on your short list of must dives!

That all said, I didn't do a Sting Ray City dive, we did it as a sunset cruise/snorkel with RedSail out to the Stingray Sandbar, again so I could share the experience with my non-diving spouse. This was a light week, and I doubt we had 20 ppl on the cruise with RedSail.

Finally, I also never got to the Kittiwake, but wrecks really aren't my thing; I'm all about the sea life, coral and reefs. Ymmv.

-PH

Well my friend took my advice to find another option if available. He found Cayman University Divers. I spoke with Brad, very nice and polite guy with a boat with shade; so that's who we are going with. It's not my first choice but I don't mind a smaller boat with a talented crew fi that's what they are. Oh well. Glad it's so expensive that I haven't committed to a full week of boat diving. I think this will be a fun week of shore diving.

Well my friend took my advice to find another option if available. He found Cayman University Divers. I spoke with Brad, very nice and polite guy with a boat with shade; so that's who we are going with. It's not my first choice but I don't mind a smaller boat with a talented crew fi that's what they are. Oh well. Glad it's so expensive that I haven't committed to a full week of boat diving. I think this will be a fun week of shore diving.
I have had some nice conversations with Brad at the dock. Seems like a top flight operation. I know the reef is tired at Sunset House, but if it's calm and you don't mind a kick out, I suggest submerging at the landing craft and doing a normal wall dive profile to about 90-100'. Go with the current and then start to follow the fingers back into shallow water. You will more than likely run into the mermaid statue on your way in. The reef is in much better shape out there because most divers don't want to do the kick on the surface.
Also, most divers only hit the mini-wall at Macabuca. The main wall is a short kick out and is great. You can easily do 4 dives there and have 4 very different experiences! We mainly shore dive and are never bored! Enjoy!!!

I have had some nice conversations with Brad at the dock. Seems like a top flight operation. I know the reef is tired at Sunset House, but if it's calm and you don't mind a kick out, I suggest submerging at the landing craft and doing a normal wall dive profile to about 90-100'. Go with the current and then start to follow the fingers back into shallow water. You will more than likely run into the mermaid statue on your way in. The reef is in much better shape out there because most divers don't want to do the kick on the surface.
Also, most divers only hit the mini-wall at Macabuca. The main wall is a short kick out and is great. You can easily do 4 dives there and have 4 very different experiences! We mainly shore dive and are never bored! Enjoy!!!
Agreed - same is true at Divetech/ Lighthouse Point - they even have lines leading out to main wall. You can rent DPV's there as well.

We dived with Cayman University Divers last year and they were terrific!

Brad is the best. You won't be disappointed. I won't dive with anyone else for all future trips to Grand Cayman.

After extensive review, I feel we found a jackpot with Brad and Graham. Going to fun with two Grahams on the boat as I'm one as well. T-minus 5 days and counting. I need to change careers; I'm never this excited about my job and I have a great career.

After extensive review, I feel we found a jackpot with Brad and Graham. Going to fun with two Grahams on the boat as I'm one as well. T-minus 5 days and counting. I need to change careers; I'm never this excited about my job and I have a great career.

Did you ever read Tom Sawyer and the story about painting the white fence? As soon as it becomes job it isn't fun, but if it's not a job then can be fun!

Cayman University Divers is a great choice have fun!

Love those guys! Say hi to them for me-- Greg Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom