Suggestions for my cobbled-together image storage sysem ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings all ...

I just upgraded from a GoPro 2 to a Hero 5 Black, and will be taking my first dive trip with it in six weeks. I'm trying to travel as lightly as possible, as I'm doing 6 weeks on land in Indonesia as well as 2 weeks of diving.

I would prefer not to have to buy a whole handful of Micro-SD cards, as I could compile quite a few GBs of images in two months. I'm looking for the cheapest, lightest, simplest system to get images from my GoPro Micro-SD card to a 1TB hard drive with attached male USB cord. I won't be taking a laptop, if at all possible. I'll have my GoPro with its Micro-SD cards, my 8" tablet (no USB port) which accepts the same micro card size, and my rechargeable power bank (USB). I'll also have my old Nikon 5100 DSLR with AV/USB out and HDMI out, which could possibly serve as a card reader for a Micro-SD card in an adapter, though I don't know if the Nikon could properly read and transmit the GoPro images.

Any great suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Okay ... enough. Enough time and frustration trying to configure this little beast to work with my phone, Samsung Galaxy S6, or my Samsung Tab 4 tablet. There are two apps for this device in the Google Play Store, and if I had read a few reviews before the purchase, I would have known I wasn't alone in tearing my hair out trying to get through the config problems. Apparently it works great ... with 'some' devices, but not all. So it's going back. And if anyone suggests that I just follow one of the numerous YouTube videos regarding setup and use ... been there, done that.

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wir...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MM6ETX5WQR8GYAR9A5S6

So, the next attempt ... does anyone have any experience with any of the file transfer/file manager apps available for Android? The theory is that I should be able to hard wire my Gopro or Nikon D5100 to either my phone or tablet and download images or videos using one of these apps. So now that I have a 128GB card in my tablet, I'm still looking for some recommendations from anyone who's done this successfully. Anyone???

Thanks again ....

PS ... Or, on the chance that someone has the same combination of hardware, the FileHub Plus and a Galaxy S6 or Tab 4, and gotten them to work together, I'd love to chat with you!

Last edited:
Ive been through this road before...I have used the RavPower products before as well...not as great as it sounds. Its slow to transfer and the app was buggy.

I prefer to have a bunch of SD cards for a few reasons.

1- They are cheap.
2- They are small/light.
3- They are not susceptible to mechanical failure (unlike a hard drive).
4- They provide a bit of safety in that you don't have ALL your pics in one drive (Drive dies, so do your 2 months worth of pics.)

Re: GoPro
It doesn't do very well for pictures under water.
I prefer to use short clips of the subject, with ProTune on, color flat, white balance native, 2.7k, 48fps, ev -0.5 (-1.0 when using lights or in bright sunshine clear water), FOV medium.
This gives me a short clip where I can find a good still frame of the subject, adjust color/WB, and can crop to zoom in without losing pixels from the actual subject area.

I have moved on to a more serious photo rig, but that is what I used to do for a few years I was strictly using GoPro cameras underwater.

Western Digital Wireless My Passport.... Pull the micro-SD from the camera, insert it in the full size SD adapter, insert it into the Passport, and it automatically transfers the pictures....

Comes in 1-4 TB sizes....

Ive been through this road before...I have used the RavPower products before as well...not as great as it sounds. Its slow to transfer and the app was buggy. I prefer to have a bunch of SD cards for a few reasons.

1- They are cheap.
2- They are small/light.
3- They are not susceptible to mechanical failure (unlike a hard drive).
4- They provide a bit of safety in that you don't have ALL your pics in one drive (Drive dies, so do your 2 months worth of pics.)

Re: GoPro. It doesn't do very well for pictures under water. I prefer to use short clips of the subject, with ProTune on, color flat, white balance native, 2.7k, 48fps, ev -0.5 (-1.0 when using lights or in bright sunshine clear water), FOV medium. This gives me a short clip where I can find a good still frame of the subject, adjust color/WB, and can crop to zoom in without losing pixels from the actual subject area. I have moved on to a more serious photo rig, but that is what I used to do for a few years I was strictly using GoPro cameras underwater.

Thanks for your reply. I have a 'more serious' photo rig, which I am not taking this trip, given that my trip features 3x more time on land, with numerous destinations, than my 2 weeks' diving. So, I require portability on land, not pulling UW dive gear behind me. I will essentially be a backpacker, a first for a trip involving diving. I also consider having only one original image on a card a good recipe for loss. I need them backed up somewhere/somehow.

Last edited:
Western Digital Wireless My Passport.... Pull the micro-SD from the camera, insert it in the full size SD adapter, insert it into the Passport, and it automatically transfers the pictures.... Comes in 1-4 TB sizes....

Thank you. I've also considered this, but wasn't excited about losing the option of reviewing my photos on the tablet. I may have to rethink that ... but are you able to confirm that your files all transferred correctly?

PS - I connect the My Passport to my tablet via WiFi and good to go, correct?

Last edited:
My Hero3 files transferred fine.

Yes, The Passport can be connected to the tablet via WiFi, allowing you to review the images transferred/stored on it (WD app). Also, it might be able to be connected to a TV to review them via USB cable, and playing the images (movies or "slideshow", depending on the capabilities of the TV.... (think Hotel TV....)....

I investigated the WD My Passport today, and found that its compatibility with certain devices is somewhat limited. Many people who seemed reasonably versed in electronics have returned them. I found a list on the WD site, and my tablet wasn't on it. At this point, I don't want to get into anything that's much more difficult than 'plug and play.'

Check out something like a SanHo Hyperdrive. Screened hard drive. Designed for photographers to photos and video on to them. I've got one that's been discontinued, but they're super handy.

Back
Top Bottom