Suggestions for Scuba Challenge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings,

I thought I'd reach out to SB for some fun ideas and discussion. In the interest of bringing landlocked divers together, improving skill sets, and promoting diving, we have been running monthly scuba challenges in a large 25 meter x 20 meter x 4 meter pool.

So far, the contests highlighted buoyancy control, body control and awareness, standard skills, and some special skills.
One challenge was a neutrally buoyant out of air drill, which involved securing teammate's alternate and swimming 25 meters, then switching from donor to receiver and swimming back to starting point whilst maintaining control, neutral buoyancy and proper trim.
One contest required negotiating a series of six hula hoops set at varying depths without touching them.
A similar challenge was swimming 25 meters without mask, and recovering and replacing it whist maintaining neutral buoyancy.
We negotiated an underwater course of varying depth whilst maintaining control of a lift bag tied to a 50lb crate.
We launched SMBs whilst maintaining neutral buoyancy, level trim, control of spool, and then swimming 25 meters, ascending, and keeping line tight and spool controlled.

In many ways, the challenge turns out to be a free clinic where divers get to work on brand new skills, or the nuances of their own diving in a controlled environment.

If you were participating in your own hometown scuba challenges, what would you like to try? What are you great at that you would like to exhibit? Keep in mind, this is not a formal class or training. Divers only do two or three skill contests in an evening. The rest of the time is spent swimming, practicing, cheering each other on, watching each other's slide shows, eating apps, and exchanging stories!

Some things I've done to challenge myself in my off-pool time.

Gear ditch and don while neutrally buoyant.
- Take BC off (keep yourself and BC neutral at the same depth)
- Take fins and mask off, clipping each into the BC
- Replace everything in the opposite order

Or tank re-adjust while neutral.
- Observer unlatches tank, loosens, and shifts
- Diver has to ditch BC
- reshift tank, tighten, and relatch
- Don BC

My favorite one by far: Blind problem solving - The University program I help out with usually does this as the Basic's classes final trial by fire.
Diver fills mask with one or two of those small black dog poop bags (un-used preferably). Then diver kneels down on the bottom while the observer creates problems such as:
- Fin removal (even go so far as to unclip the straps completely and hang both fin and loose strap to the diver)
- reg recovery
- tank unlatch
- harness unclipped
- simulated auto-inflate (diver has to disconnect inflator hose, then reconnect)
Test ends with observer tapping diver's mask and then removing it and the poop bags before handing the mask back to diver for a mask clear.

Also btw, if you dive with gloves, you have to wear gloves for all tests.

If you get bored...It might be fun to have people put on an extra 25 lb weight belt and then re-establish neutral buoyancy and then swim and change depth...just to experience the "challenge" of wearing too much lead....Plus it is an excellent skill..I have found a few dozen weight belts in my day and I normally just put it on and continue my dive..

Back
Top Bottom