Suggestions for setting up hogarthian rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm ordering a bp/w, regs and weight harness for single tank diving this week (OxyCheq and Apeks). I'll be using a 7' hose, necklace and clipped off SPG. I'm not into DIR, but at the same time, I'm not averse to using a DIR setup where it makes sense for me.

A couple of details I have to work out are the necklace and the bungee from inflator hose to the D-ring. I'd appreciate pointers on what size of bungee cord (or surgical hose) to use and how long to make the necklace and the bungee for the inflator hose. If you can point me at photos of suggested configurations, that would be great. (I've seen the setup on the BAUE website, but it's hard to make out the fine details in the photos.)

Daryl Morse:
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Not that I'm going to volunteer to bell the cat, but ae3753's list of links is the beginnings of a great "Collected Commentary on Setting Up Your Hogarthian Rig" sticky.

lairdb:
Not that I'm going to volunteer to bell the cat, but ae3753's list of links is the beginnings of a great "Collected Commentary on Setting Up Your Hogarthian Rig" sticky.

Okay lairdb, if I get any complaints about this being a Sticky...it is all YOUR fault. :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I dove my new rig on Saturday. It was an awesome day, my first wreck dives (ex-HMCS Mackenzie and G.B. Church), but I have some adjustments to make.

I used 1/8" bungee cord for the necklace and retainer for the inflator. I find the 1/8" cord perfect for the inflator retainer, but I think it's too droopy for the necklace so I'll make a new one out of 3/16" cord and see how I like it.

Speaking of the short hose, I got a 22" hose and I'm finding it way too short. The reg hangs in front of me and to the right. It's mounted on the right rear LP fitting on my DS4 first stage. (Diaphram is facing downwards.) The long hose is mounted on the right front LP fitting. I think the short hose would be better on the right front fitting, but I'm wondering if 22" is too short for a single rig. (Maybe it would be better on the right-hand post of a doubles rig.) What length is recommended for the short hose of a single rig?

I got a 24" HP hose for the OMS SPG, which I run under my arm and clip on the left D-ring. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I find I have to bend my neck quite far to see it. I get water down my neck, which sucks. Is 24" pretty standard for an SPG hose? I have the D-ring positioned at the height of the armpit (like in the BAUE photo). Would it work better to have the SPG hose run over the shoulder? Maybe I just have to get used to it.

Daryl Morse:
I got a 24" HP hose for the OMS SPG, which I run under my arm and clip on the left D-ring. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I find I have to bend my neck quite far to see it. I get water down my neck, which sucks. Is 24" pretty standard for an SPG hose? I have the D-ring positioned at the height of the armpit (like in the BAUE photo). Would it work better to have the SPG hose run over the shoulder? Maybe I just have to get used to it.

You have it clipped to the left hip or left chest? SOP is to clip to the left hip d-ring, and unclip it to read it.

Look closely at this BAUE picture, or this one.

lairdb:
You have it clipped to the left hip or left chest? SOP is to clip to the left hip d-ring, and unclip it to read it.

Look closely at this BAUE picture, or this one.
No flames please, but I have it clipped to the chest D-ring. I like to be able to read it without unclipping it. Quite a few people I dive with clip the SPG to the chest D-ring, but no one I dive with clips it to the hip D-ring. (Not a DIR crowd.) I find it really convenient to bring my hand up, the SPG is right there, twist it face up if it's not already, then look down. The only glitch is I sometimes get a bit wet around the neck.

Anyone care to comment about the short hose? What length hose are you using? Thanks!

Daryl Morse:
Anyone care to comment about the short hose? What length hose are you using? Thanks!

I'm about to purchase a hose for a single tank rig. Did you fix the problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom