Suggestions on a DIY set-up to not lose my DSLR Ikelite rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

I own two Ikelite DSLR rigs - one for a Canon T4i/T5i and one for a Canon 5d Mark III.

I have been musing on how to attach a rig to my hand/wrist, so if something happened to me underwater, the rig wouldn't automatically sink away from me.

I know Ikelite has lanyards for their compact housings, but I can't seem to find anything larger and more durable to go with the DSLR housings.

Any thoughts?

I use one of the retractable reels with the locking button, if you have to let it go for an emergency it drops below you on the lanyard or you can lock it up by your chest.

I just use a wrist lanyard. It is more than adequate to handle a dslr setup in water.

I use a 1/4'' bungee (~2' long) with good clips on either end, one side attached to my chest d-ring, the other to the camera. I also tell all my buddies that if they see me with my camera dangling to come help me. It means I am dealing with something that I determined was more important than keeping my $8,000 camera.

-Chris

My wife has a D3200 in an Ikelite housing with dual strobes. First of all, get some floats or float arms for your housing to make it neutrally buoyant. Then you won't need an ultra strong lanyard to handle the rig if you drop it underwater. My wife uses a bungee lanyard attached to one of the D-rings on her BC to keep the rig close if she needs to use both hands on something else. The bungee allows her to reach the rig all the way out to full arms length without any trouble.

Wrist lanyard with a boltsnap attached. If I need both hands attach to Dring

I use a short section of rope and a bolt snap. Into my shoulder d-ring or dive computer wrist bungee strap.

My rig is mildly or significantly negative depending on ports even with foam. Neutral at 20ft but negative at depth. Been wanting a variable lift system but decided I need the exercise to hold the camera aloft.

I use a short section of rope and a bolt snap.
This. I have a Nikon D3x in an aluminum Subal housing with two Ikelite strobes. Unless I use flotation arms my rig is extremely negative even with foam floats. I clip the rig to my shoulder d-ring before I unclip it from two caribiners attached to the boat. It is never unclipped to something until it is back on the boat.
db.bl12.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom