Suggestions on where to buy SIM card DPS or other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is confusing to me. I have an S9 and didn't know any better. Bought the most expensive SIM/data package that they offered at Telekom kiosk after customs. Worked like a charm the whole time that I was in Padang Bai. I did use up all the data before I left.

Put my own SIM back in and it was as if nothing had ever changed.

Why do you guys think it's important to save your home settings?

I have never saved any settings either and I have used SIM cards from Mexico, Malaysia and Indonesia on two different Android phones. At most I have only done a reboot to get the new SIM card details showing up.

Just to clarify, Telkomsel is the only provider that covers the whole country and the booth is outside customs at the International Terminal (ground level arrivals). There is no booth anywhere in the Domestic Terminal but it should just be a short walk over.

Heck I just use an old phone... that way I don't have to remember anything. FYI, What'sApp seems to work the best in Indo for messaging and almost every business, driver, dive op etc. uses it for communication. Highly recommend downloading app and getting significant others set-up as well. And remember your number will have Indonesian pre-fix etc.

This’s what I’ve been doing for few years, having old unlock iPhone whenever I’m in Indonesia & using What’sApp. I just told my Bali DM to get me a Telkomsel SIM card before picking me up at DPS.

In case you need internet for the whole trip you have to be a bit careful. Usual packages consist of some hours of talk time, a lot of "Local" data, some "Internet" and a lots of data for streaming services. Here is what these mean:
- Talk time is obvious - buy as much as you want/need - usually none :)
- "Local" data are usually several GB but you can use them ONLY in the area you bought the card (be it the new sim card or for a top-up card). Hence if you buy it in Bali you can use it around Bali (I guess) but nowhere else. I bought a top up card in Malang/Java and I couldn't use the data in Jakarta/Java last year!
- "Internet" is data you can use anywhere in Indonesia hence it should be your choice in case you plan to move around.
- Streaming services are useless to visitors unless you speak bahasa and you plan to spend your time watching crap series in your mobile. To use them you need special apps and it used to be mostly local series. Don't bother about this.

Normal packages usually have a lot of "Local" data (several GB) and quite limited (300MB maybe) "Internet". There are packages though that offer more "Internet" and less "Local" for similar prices. You just need to be careful when you choose. Be advised: This is a very usual tourist trap!! You will not be told about these - you need to ask! They might even refuse they have such packages! I think the "best" package for people who need basic connectivity and to move around in different regions from Telcomsel was 50kRp last year and included few hours of talk time and 2GB of "Internet" for 30 days or something. They also had packages with more GB for a bit more extra.
Same holds when you top up. You need to choose the right card with lot's of "Internet"

Price is so low (we are talking about 3-4$ or so) that is not a problem to waste a card - the basic problem is you will realize that the 5GB of "Local" data you purchased in the morning in Bali are useless in Komodo in the afternoon. And if you are still in Labuan Bajo it's ok because you can still buy a new card there - but what if you are already on a live aboard?

Take care

I think it’s a matter of the company cellular antenna coverage. The coverage gets worse as you go to more remote islands. Indonesia has about 17,000 islands. I stick with the best coverage in the country, which is Telkomsel.

I think it’s a matter of the company cellular antenna coverage. The coverage gets worse as you go to more remote islands. Indonesia has about 17,000 islands. I stick with the best coverage in the country, which is Telkomsel.
All the info in that post is about Telkomsel which indeed has the best coverage for the places I've been. I haven't used anything else anyway. In all these places (except some remote areas in R4) Telkomsel had very good data (4G) coverage, but if you don't have the proper package you get nothing.
Especially the top up I did in Malang with the "local" data not being good 2 days later in Jakarta (both cities are on the island of Java but maybe about 500miles apart) was a "shock". For the usual tourist visits (2-3 weeks long with not much moving around) that's not an issue, but for somebody who plans to move around it can be.

All the info in that post is about Telkomsel which indeed has the best coverage for the places I've been. I haven't used anything else anyway. In all these places (except some remote areas in R4) Telkomsel had very good data (4G) coverage, but if you don't have the proper package you get nothing.
Especially the top up I did in Malang with the "local" data not being good 2 days later in Jakarta (both cities are on the island of Java but maybe about 500miles apart) was a "shock". For the usual tourist visits (2-3 weeks long with not much moving around) that's not an issue, but for somebody who plans to move around it can be.

How would you identify a good Telkomsel SIM card? I want to be sure to tell my Bali DM to get the good one for me when he picks me up at DPS in 2 weeks. Thanks!

How would you identify a good Telkomsel SIM card? I want to be sure to tell my Bali DM to get the good one for me when he picks me up at DPS in 2 weeks. Thanks!
I think that any Telkomsel "pay as you go" SIM card will do. Anyway when you buy a new sim card they practically give it to you empty for free (or for a very small amount) and then you top it up - some times they do this automatically so you might not even notice. That's where the problem is with the different top up options available. If you plan to move within Indonesia (Eg island hoping) you need to top up with a card that has enough "internet" for your needs. If you are just going to stay around a place (eg Bali) then the usual top up options that offer a lot of "local" (but not a lot of "internet") data would do.
In any way Telkomcel has a nice app (works in English too!) to check your quota once you top-up. Use it to make sure your amount of data ("internet" or "local" - whichever you need) are enough for your stay before you go too far from stores where you can top up again if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom