Suggestions on where to find Jacques Cousteau films?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

I am currently working on a whale documentary, and we were looking for copies of the following Jacques Cousteau films:

Cries From the Deep
Whales
Desert Whales
The Singing Whale (1973)
The Secret Societies of Dolphins and Whales (1993)

We have low quality (under 1GB each) versions of the first three, so with those we are just looking for higher quality versions. For the latter two, we are looking for any copies. So far, I have found a DVD set from the UK on Amazon for $200 (ugh), and a couple VHS tapes - might be the route to go. If anybody has any suggestions on where else to find DVDs, or digital copies I can download, that would be great. Thank you!

I have the DVD set from Amazon UK. It is the tv series from 1966 to 1976. I had to get a recorder to play UK DVD's. They are basically as is. In other words not digitally remastered. The quality is circa 1968. Great for just reliving the old days but probably not for reproduction.

I wanted them bad enough to pay the price but it is a little steep. Got here just as fast as Amazon US.

Dave

Ah yes, I just saw that set on Amazon UK. Not sure if we'll cash out for it or not... good to know about the actual quality, though. Thanks Dave!

---------- Post added January 7th, 2013 at 11:10 PM ----------

Alternatively, I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has any old cousteau-esque old whale/ocean footage. We don't necessarily need Cousteau. Just anything that feels right, and the old stuff feels more evocative and interesting for our project. So anyone on the board that might have old 70s or 80s whale/ocean footage would be a huge asset for us. Please note that this is for a pitch reel, that is not for distribution or profit. There could potentially be payment for footage, though I can't promise what amount (I'm at the bottom of this film's ladder). However, anybody who thinks they might have the kind of footage I need, please PM me!

Just type "Jacques Cousteau" into youtube the list is endless. My son and I watched a few entire episodes from the 70's including the one about the conishelf experiments and one about the toxic cargo recovered off of Italy. I still are amazed by them diving without any bouyancy compensation!

Thanks triplecove, but unfortunately I already looked on YouTube and could not find any of the episodes I was looking for!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom