Suggestions on where to stay in Moalboal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from savedra (diving+bungalow), rather disappointing.

I'd suggest anyone is going to the area to be v careful about making full payment before arrival. I wish I could try other dive shops but I booked and paid in full for sevedra, so I was pretty much stuck :(

I am curious, what disappointed you? I have not been there since 2013, so it is sad to hear that things have gone down hill.

seems like this post dissapeared, reason? thanks

Just got back from savedra (diving+bungalow), rather disappointing.

I'd suggest anyone is going to the area to be v careful about making full payment before arrival. I wish I could try other dive shops but I booked and paid in full for sevedra, so I was pretty much stuck :(

Hi Freewillow, it wasn't me and I didn't delete it. But thanks for this.

I am curious, what disappointed you? I have not been there since 2013, so it is sad to hear that things have gone down hill.

Coral reefs were in a bad shape for most dive sites that are close to shore, and some parts were like graveyard of corals. Ronda marine park and Pescador had better coral reefs but Savedra was reluctant to take us there because of boat ride/fuel costs/park fees I'm guessing.

On our last day, we had to fight the shop to be taken to Pescador (or any site that actually has some coral/fish), instead of a dive site that's a stone's throw away from shore. I wasn't exaggerating when I said 'fight', thanks to the attitude we got from a local DM (or instructor?). We tried to explain to him that a colleague of his agreed to arrange a different dive site the night before, he basically gave us the talk that 'well I'm here now and I call the shots'.

There were no refund on the cancelled night dives two night in a row. We didn't cancel either night but the shop did, and we were told that the coast guards were sweeping the area.

I reckon the experience was quite different from when you last visited?

Bungalow was basic but we knew what we signed up for, and that was alright.

Last edited:
Check out diving with Neptune good experience with them 2 different trips over a few years. Stay down that end of town also for quieter accommodation.

Stayed at Eve's Kiosk and dove with Nelson's Dive Shop last week and had no complaints whatsoever. Rooms are basic, but clean, what do you expect for app $ 30.00 a night?

Stayed at Eve's Kiosk and dove with Nelson's Dive Shop last week and had no complaints whatsoever. Rooms are basic, but clean, what do you expect for app $ 30.00 a night?
I never had any problem diving and staying in those two places. They are the ONLY operators that I would suggest to anyone.

Hi guys,

I searched this forum and there are some posts about Moalboal, but most also discuss other locations on Cebu.

I have been instructing on Malapascua since June of last year, and the 4am dives have finally tired me out. I really enjoy the Thresher Shark sightings, but I really dislike 4am, so it is time to move on.

I want to check out Moalboal. I have never been there, and I am looking for suggestions on where to book a room for a week or 2 and the dive shops that I should definitely check out. I will be looking to move and work there, and I understand the business of finding work here. Of course I want to dive there as well, at a variety of shops.

I am not a rich man, so upper end resorts are out of my budget, but not interested in roach motels either.

I appreciate any info and suggestions you can give. I am currently active with both PADI and SSI and would love to work in a shop that offers both.

Thank you,
Michael

Hi Michael feel free to check out our website www.quovadisresort.com
We have many different room types and a Padi 5 star dive center. Also check out our Tripadvisor if you like or email me pernilla@quovadisresort.com

Best Regards Pernilla

I'm surprised you didn't just walk down the road a bit and try QuoVadis, Blue Abyss, or farther down the road. Diving is cheap enough in Moalboal you could have just blown off the dives you paid for, and booked with another shop. This is my third trip to Moalboal, went with Blue Abyss again, really couldn't be happier with the site selection, have been all over the area. There were some sites especially around town that were pretty beat, but some of the walls have been very nice, seeing a lot of turtles this trip typically 4 per dive. Frog fish numbers seem to be down, pipe fish varieties seem about the same. Pygmy seahorses are still pretty rare or my eyes have gotten older :(

Pescador had better coral reefs but Savedra was reluctant to take us there because of boat ride/fuel costs/park fees I'm guessing.

On our last day, we had to fight the shop to be taken to Pescador (or any site that actually has some coral/fish), instead of a dive site that's a stone's throw away from shore. I wasn't exaggerating when I said 'fight', thanks to the attitude we got from a local DM (or instructor?). We tried to explain to him that a colleague of his agreed to arrange a different dive site the night before, he basically gave us the talk that 'well I'm here now and I call the shots'.

There were no refund on the cancelled night dives two night in a row. We didn't cancel either night but the shop did, and we were told that the coast guards were sweeping the area.

Very surprised to read this, weather permitting we go to Pescador every day, we have done so for many years. It's a popular site, and in terms of distance is no further away (approx 4K) than most other dive sites we visit. It is offshore so occasionally the waves mean we have to choose somewhere else, but that is rare.

The only time in recent memory we've had to cancel a night dive was when the coastguard asked us not to travel by boat at night, we still offered shore dives.

We rarely ask for prepayment, but when packages are paid in advance and go partly unused it is, and has long been, our policy to refund any difference.

If you'd like to PM me I'd be happy to look at your invoice and see if any mistakes were made, hate to see anyone leave unhappy.

regards
Lee

I recently stayed and dived in Moalboal - dived with Savedra and stayed at Savedra Bungalows.

- I really like the dive op: they were easy to deal, staff were nice, bookings and payments were painless, and the diving operation was generally well run. The DMs were nice and knowledgeable and the crews managed the boats well, including handling and washing all your gear.

- Did 6 dives overall, including Pescador Island twice (loved it both times - especially the North/Eastern side, which had plenty of life, of all kinds).

- Did several dives on 'the mainland', and yes there is some dead coral - but it also exists side by side with live reef systems - including some amazing sea fans and other soft coral - the Sardine dive was really cool and definitely worth the experience.

- The Savdra Bungalows are really nice, considering how basic they are: however, they are located right opposite the dive shop and essentially in the center of town, which means you hear the noise of traffic and music from the bar (on one side), and the kids playing on the beach to all hours (on the other side). Definitely wouldn't stay there again, but not due to the quality of the establishment.

- Overall, I liked Moalboal - definitely want to do it again, but spend more time there ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom