Suicide strap for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I recently found out about suicide strap's and the idea of stowing an octo on a necklace.

What do people think about that relative to securing it to your BCD for general recreational diving?

Thanks!

I was trained with one from day 1, all of the students I work with are trained to use one from day 1. There is a reason we use them in technical diving as primary donate is vastly superior to secondary donate/take.
No downfalls of using your secondary/octopus on a suicide strap/necklace, just make sure you have the right hose lengths

It's a great idea and works well with a long hose. Evidence shows that in the enent of a genuine out of air situation someone is going to go for your primary. So rather then you faffing looking and releasing an octo you are able to get onto your alternate as quickly as possible. Double it up with a long hose and you have a great recreational diving set up.

A long hose isn't tec. It's just seen that way because people perceive it to be. Even in a recreational situation where you can go staight up it's far nicer to use a longer hose than a short one.

It also stops stuff flailing around and you looking like rubbish in the water. Add a boltstap to your spg and you will enjoy diving a lot more and actually be in control of your equipment.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Is there a specific product you like, or do most people make it themselves (as shown on youtube)?

I think calling it a 'suicide strap' is idiotic, since there's nothing remotely dangerous about the practice of wearing your backup regulator on a necklace.
Sue has used an Air 2 from her first dive. According to some here, that means she's going to die, even if she doesn't wear split fins. Some 500+ dives later, she's still fine with it.
Kim has used a conventional short hose setup from her first dive. Backup regulator is tucked into a snorkel keeper. She's still fine.
I started with an Air 2, then used a conventional short hose, then switched to a longhose/necklace configuration. I use longhose/necklace all the time, regardless of how I'm diving; singles, doubles, sidemount, backmount... whatever. It doesn't matter. None of use has any difficulty working with the gear configuration of the others.

All that really matters is that you find a configuration that works for you, and that you know what configuration your buddy (or buddies) are using.

Just buy a spool of bungee cord. You'll use it all eventually.

I think calling it a 'suicide strap' is idiotic, since there's nothing remotely dangerous about the practice of wearing your backup regulator on a necklace.

Until others replied, I admit I had no idea what the OP was talking about, as I have never heard the term. It seems to me that by referring to a bungeed secondary around the neck as a "suicide strap," the person using that term has already made up their mind about it. If so, why ask the question? It's like polling people as to what they think of "this piece of ****" I am thinking of buying.

Until others replied, I admit I had no idea what the OP was talking about, as I have never heard the term. It seems to me that by referring to a bungeed secondary around the neck as a "suicide strap," the person using that term has already made up their mind about it. If so, why ask the question? It's like polling people as to what they think of "this piece of ****" I am thinking of buying.

First time I've ever heard the term used in this context, too.

I have dove this configuration for years and all my kids who dive were also trained this way right from the start.

I've never used the pre-made straps.. Just get some 3/8" marine grade bungee and learn to tie the knots and your all set.

Bungeed secondary is superior. No question where your backup gas will come from. Primary donation in an OOG is instant, and ensures a working regulator to the impaired diver. Obviously if diving with an instabuddy include the setup in your prebrief. You can purchase ready-made straps or make your own. I just use a length of bungee.

"Suicide strap" is a new one for me too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom