summer drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc_rain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
For those who dive drysuits year around, what undergarments do you wear in the summer months?

Weezle Extreme +. Just because it is warm on land, the water temp stays the same in the places I dive. - Kirk

I used to laugh so hard at divers in S. Cal wearing their drysuits in the summer months. Until I got one myself. It's just too comfy and convenient.

When our water is at it's warmest I often go with just a hawaiian shirt and a pair of shorts in mine! There is nothing better then unzipping it, stepping out and being all ready to head down to Las Brisas for appetizers and beers!

When I am doing deco dives below the thermocline, I'll wear the same things I wear in the winter. If I am just tooling around, I'll wear just the base layer and leave the argon for the tires.

I have a compressed neoprene drysuit and it is quite warm underwater. Unless it's 90f, I usually just take the top half off and leave the bottoms on. Of course I move the shade as much as possible.

In my 7mm neoprene suit I just wear a thin wicking top and my denim shorts but I do remove the belt, keys and other hard objects that may be in my pockets to avoid squeeze problems. The heavy socks get worn since they are for fit as much as insulation. That works well to the upper 40sF. It slashes 10 pounds of lead from what I need with full cold water garb.

Pete

I too have a compressed neoprene drysuit (Bare CD4). I did 3 dives yesterday at Catalina with my 100g undergarment and a pair of normal ski socks and thin polyester ski thermals. Temps were around 64 at depth. This setup allowed me to do 3 1hour dives without a problem.

I have a trilam suit. If diving below the thermocline, which is most often, I wear the same thing as when I dive in the winter ... Bare CT200 with a Smart Wool base layer. If diving above the thermocline, just the Smart Wool base layer. I don't really dive wet at all anymore. Diving dry is just too convenient and with a trilam I can easily be comfortable even in water up in the mid to upper 70s. I'd probably only dive wet again if I went down to the Caribbean.

Summertime shallow water temps here in the northeast may get up into the mid-60's, but it may be 10 or 15 degrees colder below the thermocline or after the tide or wind changes, so I usually wear the same amount of polypropylene and Polartec from May through December, unless the dive will be more active than usual. Trilaminate suit.

If I know the water temp will be 70 or higher, like in the Connecticut River, for example, I'll remove a layer.

In the colder months of January through April with water temps less than the low-40's, I wear Weezle Extreme Plus.

I'm not one to complain of being "too warm", however! :)

Dave C

I have a 200g polarfleece I wear.

Back
Top Bottom