Sunburn bad what to wear when snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelingCowboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I sunburn bad in the hot even in water, so what should I wear when snorkeling? Can’t afford a wet suit at this time. Would jeans work or should I wear light weight gym pants and top?

Rash shirt and compression pants from UA...any sports store will do.

Spend the money for upper/lower rash guards or a cheap 1mm full length suit. You will be glad you did. If you don’t want a “redneck” be sure to cover that too, but if you are wearing jeans it might be appropriate...:)

Full Body Lycra Rash Guard with UV Protection.

Can get Long Sleeve with full length legs or knee length or could buy top separate from bottom, to get more wear out of the top

Be sure to get a head covering too, if needed

Thanks for the replies. Just looked it up. My one worry is a friend has been teaching me to snorkel the river around here and I’m afraid that it would get torn to pieces on the debris at the bottom of the river? That’s one of the reason I mentioned jeans and because of the sunburn. This last summer my friend had me wear jeans on the dive cause that all I had packed at the time.

I wear one of the Columbia fishing shirts.

Fold the collar up if need be.

It's not hydrodynamic by any stretch, but it is airy, comfortable and stylish when out of the water :wink:

+1 for the full body lycra rash guard. The following link is to one Henderson has just for an example (I got one free when I purchased a Henderson wetsuit years ago.) I have worn it in the past in lieu of a wetsuit. At the very least a rash guard with UV protection for your top. They are pretty inexpensive and can even be found in some Walmarts. Lycra is more durable than you would expect.

Unisex Classic Lycra HotSkins® • Henderson Aquatics

Jeans, sweatpants, sweatshirts, t-shirts, etc... are the types of articles I would have high school swimmers wear to create drag during practice. May tire you out sooner. If you're wearing a vest to help you stay afloat, maybe it's not a big deal.

Also sounds like sunscreen with zinc oxide would be good for exposed body parts.

Howdy jonhall, the jeans sweatshirt and t- shirts is what coach has me doing now to build up for swim team. Did a kayak safety course wearing jeans and long sleeve, cause I’m always fishing from a float tube or kayak.

Back
Top Bottom