Sunday El Norte?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It looks like a brief El Norte is coming thru tomorrow. If you have a plan B for going to the beach instead, remember retail beer sales are restricted to early afternoon only, on Sundays.

WG Galveston (often the harbinger of doom)

upload_2017-1-7_4-49-58.png

WG Cozumel:

upload_2017-1-7_4-52-15.png

It looks like a brief El Norte is coming thru tomorrow. If you have a plan B for going to the beach instead, remember retail beer sales are restricted to early afternoon only, on Sundays.
True dat. I don't know if there is a start time on Sundays for alcohol sales in stores, but the cutoff time is 3PM. Alcohol sales in restaurants and bars, however, is not affected, so if your beach time is at a club or restaurant, not to worry.

I don't know the reasoning for the 3PM Sunday cutoff, but back in the 70's I worked for a company that sent me all over the US, and the first thing I would do when I was sent somewhere I hadn't been before, I would go to a bar, order a beer, and ask the bartender to tell me the local liquor laws. There are, or were, some strange ones. In New Mexico at the time, for example, it was illegal to drink alcohol outside, even in your own back yard. In Mississippi, at midnight in bars the staff would go around and confiscate all the beer, but if you were drinking hard liquor you could drink until closing time. In Louisiana (where I am from) there were virtually no restrictions; they only sometimes enforced the (at the time) 18 year old drinking age.

Even now, when I go home to Louisiana, it seems weird to see hard liquor on the shelves in grocery stores. :D

Last edited:
We expect it to hit at about 3-5 pm today so we are closing all trips after that, battening down the hatches at the Villa Aldora, and plan on holing up through tomorrow. We expect Monday to be OK, maybe late in the day.

The wind direction looks bad for both sides of the island since there will be an easterly component of the norte—no east side dives this time, rats!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

On the Poniente webcam it looks like it's getting there right about now.

Now it is looking rough, wouldn't this make for a fun trip back from Punta Sur!!!
upload_2017-1-7_15-17-27.png

Last edited:
This is without a doubt, the BEST public service announcement on the web!:cheers:...Beer sales!

Last edited:
We just got back from palancar an hour ago . Went out at 1 and it was hot and steamy and sunny when we hit the water. We got in the second dive when the radio chatter was going nuts but could see the storm in the distance. Harbor master closed down things while we were at bottom. Was awesome and calm but came up to 5 and 6 foot swells and the boat was bobbing like crazy and rain was blowing and coming down horizontally. Made a beeline for the marina and offloaded all the gear and waited for a taxi. Ya woulda thought they would have a few standing by but noooooooo. But we all were laughing and having a ball. First time I ever had coffee after a dive instead of a sol!!

It might be a good idea to head down to Mateo's to recover from the trauma. If you do tell him I am probably heading down next weekend if needs anything muled down:callme:

Back
Top Bottom