Sunfish Pond - dont let a boy do a man's job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neat fish to see in the wild as they are stalking you in their environment. Saw one in the New River in VA. Showed a real interest in me.

Just sayin' that we might have another local FW divesite.

Now this is only me guessing - once someone considers the lunacy/effort of diving this "lake" - I really think we will have it all to ourselves... lol

Very few nutz :) are going to hike and drag their gear up that hill and then immerse themselves in that cold water... I think we are safe.

Ha! Thanks for the laugh. Yes, all your points are spot on and well-taken by me. No, we won't ever trek up there just to find the place all silted up from the day's classes...

My reference to a new site actually had to do with the Brandywine river near where I live. Delaware really supports recreational fishing, they stock the most unlikely looking streams. A lot of the un-caught trout find their way into the Brandywine river and become food for bigger fish. I'll leave it at that.

Back on topic. Every time I make the hike to Sunfish Pond, I "do the math". Yes, we could make a Herculean effort and claim a real dive in Sunfish Pond top to bottom in one day. I'm looking for something more lasting. The long hikers on the AT often stash food along the way. It is a "don't ask, don't tell" thing. Nobody cares. The lighter we dive, the more lead that we need. I'm working on an environmental (waterproof) stash box for lead weights. Every time one of us goes up there, we drop off a weight or two. I have a LOT of weights to contribute to the community cache.

Cylinders. Still working on that. The one point that seems to remain constant is that the people I meet at the pond all seem to be extremely into the values that I treasure. Mutual support and appreciation for that area. I'd be totally willing to risk leaving tanks up there with nothing more than a note of explanation to protect them. Try that in the parking lot off I-80 and they would be gone in ten minutes.

-thinking this through, still one or two big logistics issues...

Hello All!

You guys are great! What an entertaining thread for someone who just started thinking of the same dive. So? What happened in the past two years?

My plan is to head up there early October. Spend Saturday hauling gear up to camp then hitting the water early Sunday. If anyone is interested in using my tent to stow gear let me know. Better still, if anyone wants to stay up there and watch over gear, I would be willing to haul your tank up for you:) still a couple hundred yards from the campground to the water but its not too bad.

If this has already happened let me know, but if it has not, I want to see it happen for everyone!

Ian

Ian,

You might be just the person to get this project rolling again! I'll see if I can get back to sonar mapping from the surface this coming month. Diving will be limited so let's try to see if we can find somewhere interesting.

That 'pond' is a lot bigger than it appears to be on the maps.

Y'all let me know when you are going to go up. If it is on a non-soccer day, I'll see if I can recruit my son and we can help haul gear. We've been up there a few times, but it has been a while. He also wants to go camping, so maybe 2-birds ...

OK. Been there enough times to know that a 'plan' usually turns into a day's adventure with little progress. You have to pack everything in there and then you have only so long to get the job done before it is time to pack it all back out.

I'm focussed on getting a decent map of the bottom as the first step. That is no small feat. One needs to take about 160 depth readings just to cover the pond with a 100-foot square grid. Latitude degrees and longitude degrees equate to different lengths as we are not at the equator. I did the corrections for lat/long to make a 100 foot grid. I also added readouts for these values in all conceivable units. Attached is a file that contains the coordinates for a decent, doable, but rough topographical map of the bottom with exact 100 foot increments between grid points.

Now we just have to start filling it out...

Attachments

• XL 100FT Grid Sunfish Pond01152016.xlsx
    37.9 KB · Views: 206
Here is what 100 feet looks like on the pond...

Sunfish 100 Foot Surface.jpg

It will be about a seven and a half mile hike with a vertical rise of slightly over a thousand feet. Not impossible, done it many times with a kid on my back.
There should be a bronze statue of you and kid on piggyback at the top for all the Da’s that knock themselves out to show Kids the outdoors!

Back
Top Bottom