Trip Report Sunscape Curacao & Goby Divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontwreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We were on Curacao from Oct 21 to Oct 28.
So our vacation got off to a bad start as my suitcase never left Toronto and all I had was my blue jeans and running shoes. Luckily my dive bag made it to Curacao though. We were able to pick up my suitcase when we arrived back at the Toronto airport. So the first thing we had to do was go shopping for clothes for me, toothpaste, deodorant, comb, razor, etc. Since Air Canada was buying we got everything at the resort and Mambo Beach Blvd. Swim shorts $60 US, dress shorts $90 US, and Teva sandals $125 US, etc. I asked if they had a Under Armour store on the island but luckily for Air Canada they didn't know what Under Armour was.

The hotel
We knew going in that Sunsacpe was the bottom rung of the Hyatt/AMResort chain but we didn't expect it would be this bad.
When we checked in they still wanted us to sign Covid forms, when we refused they got a manager and were told if we don't sign them we couldn't check in. So we had no choice and signed them under protest. The manager told us was is a corporate thing which is untrue because we have visited other Hyatt/AM Resorts 4 times since Covid and have never been asked to sign a Covid form. We then were asked if we were capable of carrying our own luggage to the room.
We chose a room the Plover building because we read it was renovated in 2016 and we got a room on the second floor. The room was nice clean and spacious. We got maid service every day but they never had any wash cloths. The A/C didn't work very well and we asked to have someone look at it but no one ever showed up to fix it. We had to hide Coke in a drawer or else the mini fridge guy wouldn't leave another one.
The service was the worst we have ever encountered on vacation. We had to walk out of the ala carte restaurants 3 times and go to the buffet because we sat for about a half an hour without anyone acknowledging us while the people that arrived after us already had their drinks and food. The Bluewater Grill had the worst service of the entire place.
The only stand outs were Rug at the buffet, he was great at his job and we had a Sun Club room and the 2 ladies at the Sun Club bar were also great at their job.
The food was just edible. Our last 2 days we went to the Greenhouse restaurant on Mambo Beach Blvd to eat and it was the best food we had on this vacation.
The grounds were well maintained and the beach was really nice but the whole place needs a major renovation.

Diving
The snorkeling was very good in front of the hotel.
The Goby Divers shop was right beside the Dreams resort and picked me up and dropped me back at the hotel every day and there were only 6 divers on the boat. The crew were professional and pretty much let you do your own thing. They assigned buddy teams but didn't insist you stick together. When the first person was low on air we would turn the dive and let that diver go back to the boat and the rest would continue their dive. They stuck to the West end to dive though and that was disappointing. This was the first time in 24 years that I was asked to pay in advance to hold my spot on the boat.

With all that being said,if we return to Curacao we would probably stay at the Sunscape again because of it's location but just use it for a place to sleep. It's less than a 10 minute walk to Mambo Beach Blvd, so we would go there for our meals. I would use Goby Divers again.

I was at the Sunscape in December 2021 and used Ocean Encounters, the onsite dive op. Ocean Encounters did a good job, but Sunscape really sucked. Sounds like things have gotten worse. We had the same issues and more. It's not a place I want to spend my tourism dollars again.

Thanks for the review. We tried to go to Lions Dive this year and couldn't work it out with our schedules. We are going to try again next year and this just affirms Lions Dive is where we want to stay.

I stayed in building 8. Sun Club, end of August. Booked through RCI. I thought the resort decent and the staff, aside from the seafood place, whose name escapes me were friendly and accommodating. I thought the food was OK. Not amazing but decent. I got good service at blue water and thought the Italian place had good food. Breakfast sucked there and the buffet, though, but not much of a breakfast guy.
As for the snorkeling, my wife and I snorkeled for miles while we were there.
Not the best place I ever stayed, but better than last year’s Punta Cana stay.
The room did have a bit of a funky, closed up smell the first couple days, though.
Ocean Encounters was great.

When we checked in they still wanted us to sign Covid forms, when we refused they got a manager and were told if we don't sign them we couldn't check in. So we had no choice and signed them under protest.
Interesting. What was the content of the form? Did it demand you claim/assert something or agree to something? You didn't have to get tested, did you?

I had a good stay but it wasn't in the Sun Club section and it was back in Jan. 2019, IIRC. We used Ocean Encounters, the onsite dive op., and they were good. I'm not familiar with Goby Divers - what led you to use them? Reputation, prior good experience, etc...?

With all that being said,if we return to Curacao we would probably stay at the Sunscape again because of it's location but just use it for a place to sleep. It's less than a 10 minute walk to Mambo Beach Blvd, so we would go there for our meals. I would use Goby Divers again.
It you want that area without having to pay for an A.I. meal plan you won't take advantage of, I recall hearing good things about Lions Dive Resort next door, I believe even a tad closer to Mambo Beach. You might be happier and same some money.

I should write up a trip report soon, but I don't see much about the property we just stayed at that I absolutely loved. Avila Beach resort. It's less than a 5 min drive from Mambo Beach. I dove with Dive Bus and it was incredibly convenient how close we were both to the shop, and the Pietermaai area that had some absolutely fantastic restaurants.

Interesting. What was the content of the form? Did it demand you claim/assert something or agree to something? You didn't have to get tested, did you?

I had a good stay but it wasn't in the Sun Club section and it was back in Jan. 2019, IIRC. We used Ocean Encounters, the onsite dive op., and they were good. I'm not familiar with Goby Divers - what led you to use them? Reputation, prior good experience, etc...?

It you want that area without having to pay for an A.I. meal plan you won't take advantage of, I recall hearing good things about Lions Dive Resort next door, I believe even a tad closer to Mambo Beach. You might be happier and same some money.
Yes, I would stay at lions dive if I did not intend to use the AI features of Sunscape.
The Covid form we signed in June was basic, if we had symptoms we acknowledged a requirement to go to a facility at our expense.
We were also not Sun club, our room was basic and we had no issue other than sleeping in separate beds for the first time in 45 years. :)
We found Ocean Encounters to be good, the boat had a bunch of people on it, but our groups were small and able to remain separate.

Sorry I don't know how to do the multi quote thing.
Basically the form said that they could randomly test us for Covid at anytime (at our expense of course) even if we did not show any symptoms.
I emailed 4 or 5 dive shops and chose Goby Divers because they had really good reviews on TripAdvisor, they would pick me up at Sunscape, they only put 6 divers on the boat, and Andhiela was very quick and helpful responding to my emails. I emailed Ocean Encounters and replied back that they put 24 to 30 divers on a boat and were one of the more expensive dive shops. But the big reason I will never dive with them is because they are affiliated with the Sea Aquarium, and Curacao Dolphin prison and run Dolphin dives to it.
We looked into Lions Dive but it would be a fair bit more expensive because we would have to pay the hotel directly in US money (add 35 to 40%) and book our flights transfers, etc separately. Being from Canada, we can get the Sunscape from one of our Canadian vacation companies in a package that includes flight, transfer and hotel stay. My wife doesn't dive so she could sit at the hotel and get drinks and some food without having to pay or leave the property every time. Being Sun Club we got Premium brand alcohol.

Being from Canada, we can get the Sunscape from one of our Canadian vacation companies in a package that includes flight, transfer and hotel stay. My wife doesn't dive so she could sit at the hotel and get drinks and some food without having to pay or leave the property every time. Being Sun Club we got Premium brand alcohol.
I deal with exactly this on basically every trip. The package is always so much cheaper for us coming out of Canada, than buying flights separately. It certainly limits the options, and we can never take advantage of the dive and stay deals.

Back
Top Bottom