sunscreen & diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To keep your eyes from burning, (at least this works for me), apply to your face, neck, ears and nose, BUT, don't put any on your forehead and wear at least a baseball cap while on the boat. Put you sunscreen on before you leave the house for your dives, let it soak in real good. Put extra on the nose and ears. In between dives, your baseball cap or hat will be covering your forehead. Re-aply the face if needed, and bring a long sleeve T-Shirt. Burning eyes while on a dive is no fun.

So I did a bit more research and ended up with a stick of Burt's Bees Baby Bees sunscreen (all natural physical sunblock, zinc & titanium based, reef safe). Used it on my nose on a couple of 8am runs and didn't get burnt to ensure it worked. Then I got a fair amount of the sunscreen on my finger and rubbed it directly into the inside corner of my eye (I was ready to wash it out at a moment's notice). It surely did not sting like regular chemical sunblock does.. I decided just to leave it be for a couple hours and see how things went. At about 20-30 minutes, I my eye was irritated - I wanted to give it a good rub - but it still wasn't the blinding sting like Coppertone and really wasn't any big deal. I'm pleased enough with the at-home results that I'm going to give it a whirl on my next dives.

YMMV. Thanks for the help.

LDS near me sells Beaver Sunblock. I was using it while whitewater rafting where we can be in the sun, literally, all day, not to mention wet most of the time, and it stays on and works very well. Never had it emulsify or run in any manner. It is all I use.
RichH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom