Sunscreen & Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stef210

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I am a newly certified diver and am looking forward to my first true dive experience in 2 weeks. I have purchased my own wetsuit and am looking into how to care for it properly. My question is regarding sunscreen. Is it okay to put on sunscreen before getting into a wetsuit? I will be on a liveaboard boat and anticipate that I will be getting in and out of the wetsuit all day for 3 days. Will sunscreen be bad for the interior of the wetsuit? Thanks! :)

I don't know about the inside of a wetsuit, but I would be really careful with putting it on your face.

I learned the hard way that the sunscreen I was using burned the crap out of my eyes after some water got in my mask. And I had put the sunscreen on an hour or two earlier. And, my sunscreen was a spray-on type that didn't really leave any residue that I could feel. It's not like it was some cream that I really glopped on and it wasn't rubbed in well enough.

There is some argument about bringing sunscreen to the reef...

I would say, full body suit and a boonie hat and stay out of direct sunlight. You'll spend some time in the sun waiting to be picked up after the dive, but by then most of the sunscreen is likely gone from your face and neck. So it wouldn't be much use anyway.

I don't know about the inside of a wetsuit, but I would be really careful with putting it on your face.

I learned the hard way that the sunscreen I was using burned the crap out of my eyes after some water got in my mask. And I had put the sunscreen on an hour or two earlier. And, my sunscreen was a spray-on type that didn't really leave any residue that I could feel. It's not like it was some cream that I really glopped on and it wasn't rubbed in well enough.

There is some argument about bringing sunscreen to the reef...

I would say, full body suit and a boonie hat and stay out of direct sunlight. You'll spend some time in the sun waiting to be picked up after the dive, but by then most of the sunscreen is likely gone from your face and neck. So it wouldn't be much use anyway.

Okay. I have purchased all reef safe sunscreens. My concern is being on the boat in between dives since I will most likely be in the sun at times. So I intend to be wearing sunscreen in between the dives. Thanks for the info!

Okay. I have purchased all reef safe sunscreens. My concern is being on the boat in between dives since I will most likely be in the sun at times. So I intend to be wearing sunscreen in between the dives. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, there's a lot of reflected UW out on the water. If it's a liveaboard there should be an "inside" and if you're prone to sunburn that might be the best option.

Stream2Sea is great sunscreen - but it's VERY white on your skin. It seems you have to choose between protecting the reef by looking like Caspar the Friendly Ghost or not protecting the reef. I decided on protecting the reef and had fun with it. I look goofy but embrace it! I wouldn't worry about the neoprene being broken down by the chemicals in Stream2Sea, but you can always check out the thread in the Women's Perspectives forum and ask Amber (she works for the company) and get the low-down.

Wetsuits are (typically) a closed cell neoprene with a nylon exterior coating and a nylon or pile interior coating. They should not be harmed by sunscreen.

(This advice does not apply to uncoated open cell wetsuits.)

Back
Top Bottom