Super-wide angle on a super low budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hasselnöt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I just want to share some info on a cheap UW-video rig i put together, and some footage taken with this setup. Hopefully someone will find this post interesting. Bellow is a picture of the rig (without camera in the housing).

AvYf6

(link if image doesn't work: UW rig )

What I did

I ordered a Xiaomi yi action camera (original model) from this page:
NEW Original Xiaomi YI Action Camera Xiaoyi WiFi Sport Camera 16MP 60FPS WIFI Ambarella Bluetooth International Version-in Sports & Action Video Camera from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And a dome port (which includes a waterproof housing for the camera) from this page:
SHOOT 4" Portable Diving Dome Port for Xiaomi Yi 1st Camera With Floating Bobber Snorkeling Yi Dome Xiaoyi Yi Accessories-in Camera/Video Bags from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The total price was just over 100$.

I then wanted to refocus the lens to work optimally with the dome port underwater. I had calculated the optimal focal point to be roughly 15 cm in front of the lens. To achieve this I had to remove the plastic front cover on the camera, and separate the lens from the glue that keeps it in a fixed position. This took me several hours, but after cutting through the glue you can simply rotate the lens to change focus. I connected the camera to my TV via HDMI, and used a ruler to achieve the correct distance.

Finally I downloaded this app which, if you follow the instructions, lets you change some settings on the camera which aren't otherwise available:
Yi Control Script Pro – Android-appar på Google Play

I set the resolution to 2k @ 30fps, and the bit rate to 40mbs. I also lowered noise reduction (NR) to 1000 (default is 5000 i believe) and set sharpness to "medium" and color to "flat" (to give me more alternatives in post). Next time I will set NR to 500 or 0, and sharpness to low. I will probably keep using AWB as I think it did a decent job with no sudden color shifts.

Results

Bellow is a video from three dives in Tenerife, Canary Islands. The video was put together quickly with fast contrast adjustments, and some small adjustments of white balance and saturation.

I didn't focus enough on the underwater landscapes and I tried to shoot small stuff like nudie-branches, which didn't work well. I also need to work on my "light positioning".

The visibility wasn't great but the wide angle makes the water look much clearer than it looked to the naked eye. Overall, the quality of the footage came out better than I had expected.

The lights I used are of cheep Chinese make (keeping with the overall theme). At 25 m, the button which controls the white led's on one of the lights would get pushed in, turning them off. This left me with only the red led's on this light, as is visible in the first couple of scenes. Luckily I had bought a third light of the same model as a spare, so I didn't have this problem on subsequent dives. If there is any interest, I could make a second post about the lights.

Dive safely!

Thank you for posting!
You mention cutting through the glue so you can rotate the lens, but then how did you fix the lens to make it stay at the 15cm focal length?

I didn't fix the lens in case I'd need to make some additional adjustments. You could simply put some new hot glue on there, but even without the glue I'm pretty sure that the lens will stay in position. I marked the original 12 o'clock position should I ever want to use this camera above the surface.

With the 15 cm focal length, the camera is really only usable underwater with the dome port, and possibly for shooting selfies.

Really nice product. The video lacked the corner distortions that come from most to the GoPro knock-offs. You also did a good job of keeping the video quality while getting the video on YouTube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom