superhydrophic coating on wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if it really reduced drag, every boat owner would be lining up to have the hull coated.

First of all, the technology has only been invented very recently and only been on the market for about 3 years. But yes, it has many ground breaking applications. I personally spray it on my non waterproof boots to make them waterproof, which is great when I want to walk through puddles and streams.

You're not the first person to consider using it on a boat to reduce drag...

For example:
If you coated the bottom of a boat in NeverWet, would it travel faster through the water? : askscience

superhydrophobics have been around significantly longer than 3 years. Much of the research was done at my alma mater by several professors of mine.

Point still stands that you can't resolve water ingress through the neck/ankle/wrist seals/zipper with the coating, there is no water ingress through the neoprene itself, and it won't seal the stitching.

You have also not actually made your boots waterproof, just very water resistant. If you stand in a puddle/stream for long enough, it will go through because again, you haven't actually created a barrier membrane.

superhydrophobics have been around significantly longer than 3 years. Much of the research was done at my alma mater by several professors of mine.

Point still stands that you can't resolve water ingress through the neck/ankle/wrist seals/zipper with the coating, there is no water ingress through the neoprene itself, and it won't seal the stitching.

You have also not actually made your boots waterproof, just very water resistant. If you stand in a puddle/stream for long enough, it will go through because again, you haven't actually created a barrier membrane.
Agreed. Superhydrophobics is a fancy term for water repellant. Water repellant is NOT water proof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom