Support my LDS? Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He may not really be an arse. I he & I have our moments. He has taught me all my classes thus-far, and some days he is just fine.

yes, the quarry & the shop are both "south of the border". Trying really really hard to leave names out of this whole thing, but apparently I should have left out my location, lol.

Running into shop owner A is going to be the biggest issue down at the quarry. I hear what you're saying. That seems to be the most appropriate way to handle it. But I know from experience (I've bought a computer elsewhere, and another student bought a wetsuit elsewhere) that he doesn't typically let it go that easily. I suppose it's all just talk, but you get tired of hearing it. I'm at the quarry to enjoy myself, not put up with a bunch of BS.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that makes a long drive to head to the LDS.

Get away from him. It sounds to me like your relationship is codependent. Look up codependency and read about it. Codependency is a very toxic and will do you no good. You are much better severing ties before you've invested more of yourself into this strange relationship. This is supposed to be a professional, business relationship, or at most, a mentorship.
Why should you feel badly for purchasing a computer somewhere else? Why should you be dreading running into him at the quarry if you get something from a different shop? He's not your ex-wife, he's a shop owner.

I'll way in on the other side of the DM course thingy.

I first got certified way back in like 96. That was in Pompano with Force E. Then i had to move back to WI. Not a lot of options up here, but I found a great shop in Baraboo. (pretty sure they are closed now) Did my AoW in Bonair, came back and the following summer did rescue with them. Bought about $2k plus in gear (HAD to have that just out Monitor 3).

Came time to decide if I wanted to go pro. At that point I was sorta helping out the shop on weekends by going down to the Lake early, grabbing a couple parking spots and tying of the float to the platform. I thought, this is kinda fun.

I took the DM course because I wanted to continue my education. I already had the Masters, and just wanted to keep going. Knowledge is knowledge. Free knowledge? are you kidding? Its an expensive course, and if you find out you don't in fact want to go pro...you dont have to. I say (fwiw) TAKE the course. Even if the LDS guy is an arsehat...he prolly won't know youre getting it for free.

Be an equal Jerk - and remind him of the power of customer. He gives you a hard time about the computer - give him a hard time and tell him you don't have a problem taking ALL of your business to a different local.

If it is for free(nothing is for free) it would be worth considering - but only you can make that decision OR tell your work to start looking at the other location as well considering your bad experience.

I like what the above post said, flat out you can certainly take your business elsewhere. I'm about to purchase a computer, I could order it and get it $50-$75 less, but I am going to purchase at my local shop to support them, because I am fortunate enough to have an excellent shop within an hour of me that takes the time to just talk to the customer without pushing merchandise. Also fortunately, it is on the way to all the dive sites as well, so while it is an hour away, it's in the direction that I'm always going to go dive. A good shop will take the time to get to know you, not just shove merchandise down your throat. I met the LDS manager for first time when I was getting back into the sport, it was a month or so before I went back, and as soon as I walked in, he said "Hey Sean". I hadn't ever bought anything there yet or had any real dealings with them. Sometimes I will go in just to get an air fill and end up staying an hour or hour and half just talkin with everyone (unless they are busy, then I excuse myself for the other paying customers!). Some people know how to manage and run a business and keep happy customers, some are worth nothing more than merchandise pushers. Sounds like you have the latter, as well as quite an ego-maniac. You don't owe them anything.

Without even reading most of the responses.
This is what I would do. I would head down to the quarry on a day you know he will be there. Show off all the new gear you got for the wifey, and tell him exactly where and why you went somewhere else. No one should ever HAVE to deal with BS service like that. I think more people need to be strong and stand up for themselves. If you feel ripped off, tell them.

There are Sh**y people all over and in every industry. And they will continue to thrive if you you don't do something about it.

Now on another note. I commonly frequent the few dive shops in my area and am ok with spending a few more dollars ( maybe 10-15%) for the ability to touch and feel the product before purchase. And to also support a local small business in my area. But I would never let anyone the I am giving my hard earned money insult me or try to take advantage of me. I feel lucky that the few around here excellent and know how to treat customers.

Remember. Buyer beware. Know what your purchasing and the value before you buy. And if your reading this you know what the Internet is, so it shouldn't be hard to do some quick research.

Sounds all too familiar. Got ow and aow cert by LDS #1 which is 10 minutes from my house. Fell into the same hole in buying all my gear including tanks. LDS #1 provided the wrong guidance and was only concerned about my wallet. I ended up selling almost everything and the only original gear left is my 1st stage, oceanic delta 4.1 and veo 3.0 computer.

Now I go out of my way to LDS#2 40 miles away for class and service. I only get my air from LDS#3 5 minutes from my job. LDS#2 and #3 make me feel welcomed and no one should give you a hard time about anything. They should be wanting to earn your business.

You're the customer and you have the power to take you're business elsewhere.

The Internet is a powerful tool these days. Write a review about your LDS issues. Maybe with enough pressure it can give the LDS a wake up call and hopefully change the way they do business.

Well my experience is that I have dealt with two major LDS in my area and have had both good and bad experiences with the shops. At this point, I know enough about diving and gear to buy on my own. When I did the recent Channel Islands trip on Truth Aquatics (the one that Jak Crow says he was unhappy with), I got stuck diving SOLO for all BUT 2 dives! So, I survived and can dive by myself just fine even though the instructor and dive masters leading the trip broke EVERY rule of PADI and should be spoken to by PADI for violating standards of supervising a dive trip, I just keep it strictly professional now with dive shops. Do they provide good honest service at a fare price? I no longer have a need to overpay for a trip sponsored by a LDS because if I can dive solo then why not just do my own thing? Cheaper and easier! For advanced classes, I like one master instructor at a LDS who I plan to continue classes with because he is good teacher and not a complete arrogant arse full of himself like some instructors I have deal with. Dive shops have their special little favorite patrons thats how it is. I can buy my gear online and feel confident I am getting a good or bad deal and not pay tax.

$900 for the DM course???? my LDS charges $295 plus materials
While $900 seems high, $295 seems very low for a full (PADI) Divemaster course. We charge $495 for a group course, and $800 for a private DM course ('plus materials' in both cases). I wonder if the price quoted to the OP was a private course, or if that figure is the limit of what the union benefit will cover.
Ben Prusinski:
. . . even though the instructor and dive masters leading the trip . . . should be spoken to by PADIviolating standards of supervising a dive trip,
I am curious what the standards for superivisng a trip are perceived to be - not disagreeing or taking issue with the comment, just trying to better understand what you are referring to.

In my book the advice to support your LDS refers more to supporting a local brick-and-mortar establishment over an internet warehouse 9 states away, because you will need them at some point for repairs, air, and all that stuff you mentioned. That said, LOCAL is a subjective term. And hour drive is definitely local in my book and you should never feel like you have to support the closer guy when the only merit he displays is simply being closer.

As far as the divemaster course, it really depends what you want it for. If you want to teach at some point in the future or you see yourself leading dive trips it's worth it. If you just want to learn more diving skills I think you would learn more in a tech course. Also, if the two shops are different agencies, ask yourself if the bad shop is the right choice if you do decide to go that way, because you would have to transition later anyway if the are different and you wanted to change shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom